Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem opening Excel spreadsheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycox

Technical User
Jun 28, 2002
GB
I have a user who has been able to open a spreadsheet, about 3.5 meg in size, no problem until recently this week. Now when they attempt to open file, the CPU usage shows 100% and Excel fails to respond.
The PC in question is running with 512kb memory with more than half of it available.
I have had reports of this same spreadsheet causing same problem at other sites also. Any ideas?

Sounds like you have a corrupt file on your hands. Have you tried renaming it and then opening it?

PS I assume you meant the PC in question is running with 512 MB of memory, not KB?

Just a thought.... You might want to try to open the file using Open Office. It's available for free from
It is freeware. I run Excel 2000 at work and on more than one occassion I've been able to open a corrupt .xls using Open Office, then extract the data to another worksheet and save, then open the file in Excel again.

It's worth a shot, anyway.

Good luck.

[tt]-John[/tt]
The Member Profiles are finally working again!

Enya,

I have tried this already which made no difference. I have FTP'd the file from the site in question back to my PC and I can confirm that I can open the file no problem.

PS. Well spotted, typo error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back