Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem opening attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eksistenz

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2002
US
Exchange 5.5, Outlook 2000.
I have a user that can't open attachments directly from within a recieved message. The attachment can be saved OK, but if you try opening it the following message is received:
'The system cannot find the file specified.'
Any ideas why? The installation of Office 2000 is a new, clean install. The hard disk on the PC in question is almost empty, so it's not lack of space.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

It may be because the file has been moved or deleted, oddly though it can save the attachment. Ask the sender to send again if they still have the original file.

My guess is that there is something wrong with the TEMP environment variable or the TEMP path on that machine. If you go to a machine that works and open an attachment directly, you can see that it opens from some temp location. I suspect this is what's wrong with the one that can't open directly - the temp location doesn't exist or some such thing.

I am having the same problem Eksistenz had. I have a user that receives the message "The system cannot find the file specified" when he tries to open word attachments in Outlook 2000. I was wondering if Eksistenz ever found a solution if so HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back