Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Moving my Pub.edb to a Diferrent Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldfuzion

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2002
US
I was in dire straights due to an at capacity drive on my exchange server, and moved the pub.edb from d:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\ to c:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\ (after stopping services of course), then in the exchange admin, config --> servers --> choose the server, went to properties, database paths tab.
Here I noticed various paths and i changed the last three:
-Public information store database
-Information store transaction logs
-Information store working path
to reflect where i moved the pub.edb
Once done, the information store service would not start. Did i need to move or modify other files or paths (.log files)to complete what i'm trying to do here?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You only need to change the path in ESM and it does everything for you.
You need to undo everything you have done and restart the services. Don't move the transaction logs from where they were as Exchange will not be able to find them.

Any chance you could explain a bit more on that last sentence regarding undoing everything i have done and not moving the transaction logs (which i dont think i did)?

Thanks again.

Sorry, one other thing, i dont see a ESM path? what is that?

Okay, what Zel is basically saying is that you shouldn't really move Exchange database files around like you've done (it is possible to do it like that, but you have to know what you're doing to make sure you get every setting right everywhere it needs to change).

First you need to get your services to start again. So carefully undo all your changes so that the priv and pub.edb are back on their original drive, and change the paths back in Exchange Admin to their original settings. Then your services should start again - check the event log carefully for any errors.

When you're satisfied that you've back to full working order again, then use Exchange Optimizer to move whichever of the files you want to whetherver you want to put them - this is really how MS envisaged you should move stuff around, it does it cleanly and safely for you (it stops the services whilst moving stuff, so you really need to run it out of hours).

Post back if you have any further questions.

I believe i can move the pub.edb back, though once back there will not be enough space on the drive for services to restart (my original problem) Will this be a problem when running exchange optimizer? And where is this exchange optimizer that i should run?
Thanks.

Not sure if not having enough space to start services will give Optimizer problems or not - basically running out of space on an Exchange volume is a big no-no - you should be minitoring your servers and stepping in before this happens!

Optimizer is in the program group that gets created when you install Exchange. Are you saying you've never run it before? It should be run before a user mailbox every hits your newly-built server, and every time thereafter you make a significant change to the server (SP, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back