Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem migrating DHCP database between Servers 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvanos

MIS
Jun 6, 2002
BE
Currently DHCP is running on a temporary Server 2003 (upgraded NT4.0 PDC). My intention is to run DHCP from another Server2003 (a brand new machine, with AD installed and synchronised last night). So on this temporary Server 2003, I stop the DHCP server service, and backup the database to C:\Winnt\system32\dhcp\backup,
and copy everything in this Backup folder, basically subdirs JET and NEW, and file DhcpCfg (=registry key), to my new server.
As there was no subdir on \\Newserver\windows\system32\dhcp, I simply copied the whole BACKUP folder from my source machine.
On the new server, I open up DHCP console, execute the Restore, but then I obtain a message that the database was not restored.
In the eventvwr I obtain messages :
EventID 1061 : The DHCP service was unable to access path specified for the database backups.
EventID 1062 : The DHCP service was unable to access path specified for the database
EventID 1060 : The DHCP service was unable to access path specified for the audit log.
EventID 1019 : The DHCP service failed to restore the DHCP registry configuration. The following eror occurred: The system cannot find the path specified.

None of these messages are documented in the MS KB...

Detail : on this new server I can backup the existing (nearly blank) DHCP database, and restore it, without problems.

Has anyone tried this out yet ?
Does it have to do with my source machine being an upgraded NT4 PDC (with systemroot = WINNT instead of WINDOWS ?)

I don't know if this is caused because of the differing folder structure, i would think most apps use the %windir% variable to locate folders, maybe dhcp doesn't!

To complete the migfration you can try using dhcpexim.exe from the resource kit. It's what i used to migrate whole scopes including current leases to another dhcp server.

do a dhcp backup to file on old server

install new server with dhcp

restore old server backup to new server

set recursion to atleast 1. This stop duplicate addressing

job done

KingE

KingE

MCP, MCSE-NT4.0

MicronMega : I downloaded the DHCPEXIM.EXE utility, and installed and ran it on the Win2003SRV (ex-NT4-PDC), "Export configuration of the local service to a file", I type a name for the file, and highlight the scope I want to export.
After this, I obtain error msg : An error occured: "An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. [OK]"
Nevertheless, a file is generated, just containing the characters 1K2W

Reply for KingE : is your suggestion different to the procedure I described ? I also do not know where you can put the recursion parameter (has to do with DNS ??).

For the record : I installed DHCP server on another 2003 server, that was upgraded as well from NT4 (member)server.
Then I carried out exactly the same procedure between the upgraded PDC and this one, and now the database was accepted !!
So apparently there is a problem in migrating the DHCP database from an NT4-to-Server2003 upgraded domain controller, towards a Server2003 Domain Controller, installed from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back