Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Mail Relay ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

system007

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2002
NL
Hello,

I hope someone can help me with the following:

We use our Exchange Server (sp4) as our primary mail server. We make use of the internet mail service connector and the transfer mode is set to inboud & outbound.

The problem is as follows:

Developers want to send e-mail from an oracle application, they define the e-mail server either by name or by ip-address. The thing isthat they can only send e-mail to members of the Global Address List or to Custom Recipients which are part of the GAL.

As soon as they send it to an external addres for example hotmail etc it doest work as you'll get the famous notification: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

I get the same notification when i log on to the Exchange server by using Telnet and using the default port 25. When i send to the GAL is goes OK External it does not.

But if i send an e-mail from Outlook to an external address it works fine!!! So it has something to do with either SMTP and maybe something extra i don't know. maybe mapi???

In the Route tab, of the Internet Mail service connector we specified Do not reroute incomming SMTP mail. But i am not sure if this causes the problem. It would be to simple

One thing is sure, it is not Oracle!! Our Firewall does nothing with relaying of routes etc. So it is somehting in Exchange with relaying maybe the IMS causes it??

If anyone can help me, it would be great!!!!

Thanks a lot

Regards Ivo

custom recipients

file new custom recipients

in the smnp under advan tab change to hotmail address

Just a thought, but you might want to select "Re-route incoming SMTP mail" and enter the IP of the Oracle application server in the routing properties.

I think this tells Exchange that e-mails from that server may be re-routed to the internet, while stopping spammers using your machine as an open mail reply.

Hope this helps

Robert

I was having a similar problem after fixing a spamming issue. I was told to use reroute incoming mail, and additionally setup how you want the information routed. I think the fix suggested before will work great by specifying the IP of the Oracle server everything should work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back