Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Login in Win98 Clients after conversion from NW4 to Win2k Serv

Status
Not open for further replies.

nQziteev

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2001
US
I converted a 20 user network from a Netware 4 server to Win2k server. When I removed the NW client from all the workstations, all the Win98 stations have trouble attaching to the domain, but the Win2k stations worked fine. I removed the client in networking, and am using only TCP-IP protocol. Stations receive DHCP info fine, but can not login. They get an error that a DC can not be located; or that the user/password is incorrect, even tho they are correct.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

What type of client were you running in Netware land?

Were you just running the "Client for Netware Networks" available under Microsoft in the availabale clients or did you actually install Novell's Client 32????

If you had installed Client 32, you can't just go remove it from the network dialog... There is way to much that gets installed/linked when that client is loaded up. I have a feeling thats what has happened here.

Run Novell's UNC utility to remove the Novell Client and I think your problem should go away...

Novell's Client 3.2x was installed... and the UNC32 util didnt help... =(

Really? Interesting.

Your problems definately sound related to that, though.

I have had similar experiences working with Client32 in the past. I started with Novell v2.x and have worked with it through Netware 5 and have multiple certs, so I've seen a lot of problems stemming from the clients...

Try these:

What version of Client32 were you running on the Workstation?

What version of UNC do you have?

Try reinstalling Client32 on the workstation and then rebooting and running UNC again on the clean install. -Sometimes, since you removed the client from the Network Config box (even if you had put it back first) UNC doesn't do it's thing properly.

If that doesn't work, either try downloading a newer version of UNC from the Novell website and repeating the above again, OR, sometimes I had success uninstalling stubborn clients by running UNC, then removing everything under the Network Config box (I mean everything) and then rebooting... Let it find the NIC and add it again, reinstall Client32, reboot once, then UNC it....

I definately think thats where your problem lies. Try different combinations of UNC and reinstall on the client until it appears to be gone. I really feel like this is the right track with this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back