Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem logging on to 4.11 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewey2

MIS
Aug 7, 1998
US
I am in the process of exchange a 3.12 server with a 4.11 server. I have managed to migrate the user's bindery information into the new server. I have created several OU under the root to allow for structuring the users according to their locations. My problem deals with the fact that unless the user object is directly below the root object, the user is unable to access the server. If I move the user object directly under the root, the user can attach to the 411 server and login, but the minute I move the user object under one of the OU object, access is denied on login. I have tried logging in with just the username, with the username.ouname, and with the username.ouname.oname. Each time I receive an error message that the user does not exist in this context. I would appreciate any advice anyone might be able to give in this matter.

Look at Client32 and setup your context correctly. Check its doc

for howto.

I guess I'm a little confused. You say that users are in the [root]. You cannot put users or other leafs in the [root]. You must mean that your users, etc. are in the "O=" container. You have probably also put your server in that container. By default, when you login WITHOUT setting context properly, it will look for the user in the same container as the server (which must be the O= in your case). Generally you don't want lots of containers with only users in them as it just adds to additional administration and as you have found out, different contexts to worry about. You definitely need "OUs" for your WAN link locations (for appropriate partitioning and replication), but if the company is all in one place and less that 500-1000 objects, put everything in the O= container. Just easier to manage....

When logging using the username.ouname.onname you need to add a period in front of the name. This allows the Client32 to be setup for any context and allow anybody from any context to use the same machine.

You can either log on using the fully distinguished name with the leading period as Darkclaw suggests, or at the wkstn Novell login screen set the preferred context to the ou for that user and then the user can log in using their common name i.e. dewey2

Thanks everyone! It was a context problem. Appreciate the assistance.

Now I have another problem that has been bugging me. I am running Windows98 on my workstation and everytime, when I have been working in NWADMIN, upon exiting I get a Page Fault error. I have to reboot my workstation to get rid of the error message. The error message states that "NWADMIN has caused a page fault error in the Kernal32 module"

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so do you have a solution?

I have a customer who has experienced the same problem. They are running Win98 and NWADMIN32 which comes with Client32 2.5. I will try the latest client32 3.0 to see if the problem disappears.

Dewey2- I haven't had this specific problem, but standard procedure for problems with client32 is to remove the client using unc32 (in the admin dir of the client), then reinstall the client. This has solved client32 problems for me.<br>
MrHanky- After reading your message I went looking for Client32 V3.0 but was unable to find it at the Novell site. Novell UGs report many problems with V2.5 including a conflict with the IP gateway.

<br>
Yep,<br>
<br>
We're running Client 32 3.1 SP2, an still getting the same problems as yourself. <br>
Looking through the Novell web site it seems as though this has been found to be a problem and reported to the quality engineers but no fix is yet available.<br>
<br>
Sometimes it seems, choose File-Exit rather that destroying the windows using &quot;X&quot; will get away with it.<br>
<br>
Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back