Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Loggin in Domain/Workgroup - Help!!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

memarkiam

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2002
GB
I was trying to set up a peer-to-peer to share files at home last night, and changed my Network Indentity from a domain to a Workgroup (which is what Help said I needed to do).

This didn't help me to share the files, but has completely messed up my laptop by creating a new user and locking me out of my existing account.

It now says I don't have the privelages to change back to domain!

How can I log in as my previous user account (it was the same name/password. I tried adding the domain to the user name (user.domain) but that didn't help.

Also, the Administrator password I was given doesn't work now!!!

What can I do!! I'm desperate to get back in to my data/settings/privelages.

Any help would be VERY appreciated!!

Many thanks,
Mark

I managed to sort out most of my porblems in the end.

Initially, I tried every admin apssword I thought might be relevent - but to no avail.

Finnaly, I tried Administrator with the password from my personal user account - it worked!

I have no explanation for this.
This has given me full admin rights over my machine, which has solved most of my problems.

The one remaining issue is my 800MB Outlook .ost file - with all my mails, contacts, notes etc.

The file is there - but I can't seem to associate it with a user I can access.

I'm sure there's a way - I just haven't figured it out yet.

Mark

I had a similar prob with an account and Outlook. Have you tried opening Outlook and importing that .ost file in? That was what worked for me... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

hehehe im actually experiencing this same problem as we speak and stumble here to find how much grief this problem can be.
I found a way as mention by the last user to be most fast and useful , but im still stuck on try to convert this workgroup back to a domain without joining but possibly manupilating the registry.
So far no discoveries yet.

Im feel stupid to not have tried adminisitrator logon with user domain password (workgroup mode)but i dont think it would have worked for alot of reasons.

hehehe im actually experiencing this same problem as we speak and stumble here to find how much grief this problem can be.
I found a way as mention by the last user to be most fast and useful , but im still stuck on try to convert this workgroup back to a domain without joining but possibly manupilating the registry.
So far no discoveries yet.

Im feel stupid to not have tried adminisitrator logon with user domain password (workgroup mode)but i dont think it would have worked for alot of reasons.

Hi , seems like lots of people have this password problemon win 2000 prof.;
i was changing things around and accedentaly set it up to promt for a username and password on startup. i know that there is an administrator, a default and a guest user account, but i don't know the passwords for the admin or default, i do for the guest, but it says that the acount has been disabled and to contact the systems admin. i can't just cancel out of the login, and i have tried blank password, nothing is working, i have no access to my computer, i'm stuck at the password prompt- is there anything i can do to gain access to my computer?

I I understand the thread, I had something similar happen.
I think you just need your network administrator to log on to the domain for you. there is no reason to do anything else. certainly you do not need to reinstall anything.
Just understand that your laptop user called administrator ((where your computer is likely a dhcp client and assigned an ip address) is not the administrator of the network (where there is likely a dhcp windows 2000 server that is handing out the ip addvesses and access to the domain.)

I also took my brandnew work laptop and locked myself out by undoing the domain and putting in a workgroup.
the account that had access to my company network by logging on to the company domain does not appear in the user names on the laptop.

I take all this to mean that the company account through a domain has a hidden company network password that you don't see when you login. I know this because I took the laptop back to the company and all they had to do was plug in to the network, enter the domain name, and supply the password.

I have seen this sort of thing with microsoft exchange server and vpn extranet clients. You, the regular user, have been given a machine with some software on it that has a username and password; however, there is another layer of authentication that was done when the software was setup by some network administrator type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back