Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Installing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

smil3y

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2004
AU
I have written a couple of database applications using VB6 and using the Package and deployment wizard have had no problems installing.

I have just completed another small application for my sister and before installing on her computer I installed it on three other computers. Two were brand new (XP SP3) and one was well used (XP SP2). The application installed fine.

I then tried to install on my sisters computer. When the installation ran it stated it was copying files but seemed to be very quick. When I checked I found the mdb and exe files had not been copied. I suspect many other files had not been copied either.

I turned off virus protection but this did not make any difference.

I then tried installing on her laptop - same thing. Would not install. Both her computers were XP SP3. I have not seen this before. I tried again on another computer and it worked.

Has anyone experienced this before. Were do I start??

Regards

Smil3y,

I am using Macrovision's Installshield Express V11.5 and it works like a charm. Never had a problem. Gonna cost you, like, $600, but for me, worth every penny. And you can use the one copy to make installers for any and of your projects. Just a thought. Sorry I can't really help you.

Ortho

[lookaround] "you cain't fix 'stupid'...

What is the message you get / how far does the installation get? Is it perhaps caught in a loop where is says it needs to reboot to update system files in order to continue installation? This is what it sounds like as it happens quick and there are no files from your software copied to the computer. We'll need a bit more infomation to help. Is the computer you used to create the installation package also SP3? Maybe try installing the VB runtime by itself first.

Tom

It does seem like it is caught in a loop. It appears to copy the files and request a reboot.
The computer used to create the application is also XP SP3.
I will try installing the VB runtime separately.
Any ideas on why it gets stuck in the loop??
Regards

If I recall correctly its normally a service pack issue. Where the computer used to create the install is at a lower service pack than the computer installing on. In addition or instead of installing the runtime seperately, you could run a windows update on the dev machine, create a new package and try it again. It may not be as cut and dry as which SP your on, and maybe more related to current windows updates.

Tom

Also, I know I've had the same issue in the past. I just can't remember for sure what I did. But I'm pretty sure a windows update will fix it. I don't think I've ever had to install the VB runtime seperately so maybe just try the update then create new package first.

Tom

If the update does not do it for you visit MS and search for windows installer 1.1 vb6 or the web for Inno which are both free (Inno for vb6 is free...).

Good Luck

There are a number of things that can lead to behavior similar to this. Many of them are documented in the MS KB articles related to using the PDW.

The only ways I can imagine this relating to service packs is (a.) your VB6 and thus PDW is at an old service pack level, or (b.) you are deploying system files that you shouldn't be.

The latter is one of the most common issues people run into when they use the PDW casually.

The PDW will often pick up various system files as dependencies to package because the related .DEP files are missing or outdated. Lots of files that were safe to deploy when VB6 first came out have not been safe for a long time.

Some of these have been updated over the years, often updated in a manner that makes them specifically tailored to a version and service pack of Windows. Others are new and were never meant to be deployed as part of a setup package, but they don't include .DEP files to tell PDW to leave them alone. Such files are now serviced as part of the OS via Windows Update, etc. and should not be deployed.

Lots of such files exist, so telling you which to manually exclude is difficult. Sometimes seeing a listing of your setup.lst file can offer clues though.

You can tell exactly which file is causing the issue by watching the install. The point at which the problem is occuring is at the beginning where it says installing 1 of 8 or whatever. Then it displays the file name, as it is installing. The last one before it tells you to reboot is the one with the issue.

Tom

Thanks for the assistance. It has given me a few areas to look at. Will update when I resolve.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back