Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing XP PRo

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberprof

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
GB
Just built a new pc and now ready to install XP.

Boot from CD works fine, so does the hardware check, but when the checks have been done and it should ask you how you want to install XP, the screen freezes on

'Processing information file...', blue screen, grey line at bottom, text in white writing.

Any ideas?

J

Hi there,

don't know if this helps you, but in the BIOS setup disable VirusCheck, disable SMART for HD's, set PLUG and PLAY OS to NO, ofcourse after having loaded the DEFAULT VALUES...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Been into Bios, Load Defaults, disabled virus protector, disabled SMART and PnP OS, still hangs on 'processing information file...'

Thanks anyway,

Tried a few more things. Installation wouldn't start with Win2K pro and with Windows 98 it hung on 'Copying files needed for Windows setup..'

I've stripped all the cards out, so it's just HDD, CD ROM and motherboard...

any more ideas would be appreciated.

J

Download and run "Memtest86". XP is much more demanding on memory than others.

Check to see if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard. At work when we update a Gateway 4200 to XP we flash the BIOS to ensure proper operation.

Thanks for the advice. I think I've cracked it, when I removed the USB mouse the installation continued fine...

Quite strange, never happened to me before.

J

Check for a BIOS update... glad you got it working, see in the BIOS Setup for USB Legacy enable it if you have a USB-keyboard... the strange thing is that it even did it for Win98, as this OS is by far the most easiest to install and not Hardware dependent like W2k or XP, otherwords it should have worked, even if your USB mouse is TOAST...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back