Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing Win 7 in a really nice Rig...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
May 27, 2003
US
The Rig in question is a Dell Precision 390 workstation Intel core 2 duo, 2 Gegs of memory, a 180 Gegs Sata drive,
the graphic is ATI FireGL pci express 250 MB, I'm currently running WXP PRO. I've also imaged the system on a separate partition.

The Rig originally was shipped with Win Vista.
But I quickly formatted the drive and installed Win Xp Pro.

Now I've been trying to clean install Win 7 ultimate,
but it doesn't seem to be able to continue and finish the install.

Here is what's happening,
of course I first formatted the partition,
where Win XP pro was,
then inserted the Win 7 DVD and rebooted.
Now Win 7 is displaying the start screen I click Install, after agreeing with M$ I choose the clean install option, and the partition where it must be installed.

The next screen Win 7 is decompressing the system files,
when a 100% is finished the Rig reboot as expected,
the next screen is the Press any key to continue....I do nothing,
and that screen stays there forever.and it doesn't not finish the installation of Win 7,
I've waited up to 10 min, than I finally gave up.I was thinking that maybe is a Sata driver thing, but for some reason I'm incline to dismiss this possible issue,cause it couldn't be that M$ is so stupid of not including sata or raid drivers for such a modern system.

What do you guys think is happening here![ponder]

It could well be a corrupted install...

W7 comes with generic SATA drivers, so I would just as a test try the Vista or even W7 drivers for the build in SATA controller...

it also could be a BIOS issue, so updating the BIOS would be my first step...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

You formatted the XP partition then booted from the Windows 7 disc? How did you do the formatting?

I'd try formatting it from the Windows 7 installer. Boot the PC from the Windows 7 DVD and use the utility built into that to format the target partition.

Nelviticus

Was the disk formatted for NTFS?

Might be your boot-media is corrupt?

I'm running fine with Win7 x64 Ultimate on a Precision 390 (a little heavier than yours though...) but I upgraded from Vista x64, but that shouldn't be the trick.

HTH

I formatted the target partition with acronis disc director to NTFS and that is done in DOS.

I don't trust windows formatting utility it might format the hole disc including a partition where my wxp image files are stored Acronis is the very best program to format a hdd.Period!

It should actually display your current partitions. it doesn't take paid software to do a format for an operating system. The Win7 job does just fine.

Since you said you are doing a clean install.
When installing W7 it sets up it's own partitions, as it does it also sets up a 100 mb system partition. Try a clean install and allow W7 to do the parttioning.
When asked by W7, delete any partitions and let it set everything up.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

the next screen is the Press any key to continue...."

I don't recall seeing that option in the "middle" of installing Windows 7 (clean or upgrade) the few times that I have installed it. Once the install has started it seems to complete by itself with no further user action, except for the regional settings etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back