Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing W2K in DL580

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneel77

Programmer
Nov 23, 2005
ES
Hello.
I have a DL580 first step (not G2 or g3) with 2Gb RAM and 2 Processor 700, 2mb.
I want install w2000 on it, but i cannot.
I put the SmartStartCD 5.50, and i start from it. A lot of point appear in screen, (like seems it's loading smartstartcd). After 6 or 7 lines, it stop. After 5 minutes, an error appears: alot of numbers and text error is:
BAD EIP VALUE
KERNEL PANIC
NOT SYNC (or something like this... sync, syncing, synchronize.. i don't remember now).
I also have another DL580, 3GB ram, 3x700, 1mb and it have the same problem, so i think i'm doing somethng wrong.
I upgrade BIOS to latest BIOS version on both machines.
I tried boot from w2000 cd, but it stops with a black screen with a blinking cursor on top-left, without error. On Wxp sp2 & wxp 2003, installation begins ok, but it stops when "windows 2003 it's now starting"
Plz, help... Thanks :)

Have you tried a different SmartStart CD? Not a different version just a different one. I have had some issues with burning the 5.50 CD and a couple of older Proliants (probably the CD drives) not liking the CD.

Andy

I tried with smartstart 7.40 too and the problem is the same. Thanks

7.any will not build a 1st Gen DL 580. You need 5.x I belive. Maybe 6.x would work.

I've ran 5.50 on the DL580 G1 series without problems. You can download this from HP at [URL unfurl="true"]http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22678.html[/url].

I had similar problems with one (crashing with bluescreen) which appeared to be dodgy memory (swapped the ram and worked fine). Try running it with as little ram as possible to see if it works, if it fails, swap the ram modules and try again (hoping there not all faulty).

Good Luck :)

I wish someone would just call me Sir, without adding 'Your making a scene'.

Rob

Before you do anything else, I would use the Compaq erase utility to clear all the existing information off the server before trying to run the complete SmartStart setup or install an operating system. I had the same problem you did in setting up a DL580 and a pair of DL360's. Use 7.40 on the DL580 after the erase utility, and SmartStart 5.5 on the 360's, again after erasing. The erase utility can be downloaded as a separate utility from the HP website and is also on the SmartStart utility if it gets far enough for you to use it. Your best bet may be the separate utility. Good luck.

The DL580’s need the bios setup manually before smartstart will run properly.
Once the basics are set, smartstart will load flawlessly and program or allow you to setup any aspect of the server. I’ve seen this on multiple DL580’s. Apparently some bios settings will cause smartstart to fail on loading. I would imagine it’s the same issue with the windows loading errors. I normally use smartstart V5.5 on those units although according the the smartstart matrix the 7.4 will also work.

Good Luck,
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back