Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing VB.NET std on WIN XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranman

Programmer
Sep 25, 2001
US
Noob to vb.net Trying to install it at home (install worked fine on XP Pro at work).

Here at home (Athlon XP 3000+, 512 RAM, 55GB available, XP Home), here's what happens:
1. Inserted VB.Net CD
2. It told me to do prerequisite CD.
3. Installed prerequisites--Framework, J#, Java
4. It told me to insert the VB.NET disk
5. Inserted disk. It went to step 2--ready to install VB
6. Click step 2--Window closes and machine just sits there forever. No more windows. No particular disk activity. Nothing. Just sits there.
Have re-booted several times.
Tried a different CD drive.
Tried Start|Run|Setup
Nothing.

Any ideas???

Tranman

"Adam was not alone in the Garden of Eden, however,...much is due to Eve, the first woman, and Satan, the first consultant." Mark Twain

Although I don't think it should die because of it, I know that it will complain that you can't install the asp.net portion because XP Home doesn't include IIS.

Perhaps that's halting the installation...

D

to be quite honest, it's pointless installing VB.NET std on anything but (at least when it comes to xp) xp pro with office pro on it. xp pro has iis, as rick mentioned, and office pro has access. if you're doing anything remotely usable on other systems, you'll need both.

or i could be completely wrong. mvps, back me up.

Main Language: Visual Basic .NET
Development Environment: Visual Studio .NET 2003

Actually I don't have IIS on my dev machine, and I only use Access for maintaining legacy VB6 apps. If you aren't doing web development, and have a non-access data solution (MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, etc) you don't need either.

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

VS comes with a free lightweight alternative to IIS (I can't remember what its called now) - but if you are not doing web development you don't need either. And as Rick says you only need Office if you are using any of the Office apps.

Hope this helps.

I see no reason why vb.net std wouldn't install on xp home since that is what I had on my laptop.Even VS.NET pro will install on xp home. And with a little help even iis will install on xp home.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

I just like this --> [Wiggle] [Wiggle]

Thanks Guys,
I knew about IIS (both that you supposedly can't run it on XP Home, and that you actually can if you jump through some hoops). I do have Office XP Pro, but can't see what that has to do with this.

I finally did get it to install--but never got the automated thingy to work. Ended up just drilling down into the directory structure of the CD and running the setup from there (VB and then the MSDN disks).

This was a rinky copy of VB that came in the back of a textbook (Don't set off the student alarm--I'm taking a VB.NET class, but I'm the programming manager at work, and an MVP in a couple of other forums :) )

Anyway, thanks for the advice and discussion. I'm sure that as we convert at work, I'll have a few more questions in this area.

BTW, I had a copy of VS.NET 2005 Beta 2 from work. After all of these problems, I blew off the other one and tried installing it just for grins. It installed fine. Go figure...

Tranman

"Adam was not alone in the Garden of Eden, however,...much is due to Eve, the first woman, and Satan, the first consultant." Mark Twain

Nothing wrong with being a student. I'm still taking night classes on my information management bachelors. Students are welcome here, its just the homework that is not welcome.

For example:
"How can I make a label display the sum of two other label's values?" - Good

"How can I write a calaculater?" - Bad

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

If you can't install VB.NET or other VS.NET on WinXP Home OS so you can try to download manualy .NET Framework SDK it's about 100MB and install it, becouse then I see I don't find on VS.NET 2003 DVD that this included for manually installing... After that if successfully installed .NET Framework SDK run VS.NET may install now, if not download freeware CharpDeveloper.NET and install it. It's realy work on WinXP Home and if you want run other projects created on VS.NET use .bat file and manually create file that compiled all project, but I think is hard way for begginners, so download freeware IDE and use it, it's not very good IDE, but is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back