Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Installing Ubuntu EEE to an Asus EEE 701sd 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tresanus

Technical User
Oct 7, 2007
US
Fresh Install of Ubuntu Error 21 on Main Harddrive
Okay I am brand new to linux. I bought an Asus EEE 701sd a couple days ago and installed Ubuntu EEE from a flash card onto the hard drive. Everything was working magically.

I always knew I was going to install XP on the machine as soon as I bought a USB cd rom but wanted to test out linux to see what it was all about.

I decided to install Ubuntu to a SD card incase I wanted to boot up linux and mess around with it once I had XP on the main drive. This is where the madness starts.

When I removed the SD card and tried to boot back onto the hard drive I got the Error 21. So me, not knowing much about computers, decided to format and fresh install ubuntu on the hard drive. Through google searched I am learning that the error relates to my GRUB and that upon boot my system cannot find the grub loader or something??

Any help would be appreciated, hopefully this is an easy problem to fix!

Just to let everyone know there is nothing on this machine I need to save. I want to wipe the hard drive and start fresh, I guess I just need to fix the grub or boot loader or something.

Thank in advance for whatever help you guys might provide!

Tres

To update I want to just restore ubuntu to my main hard drive, I want to forget all about the sd card dual boot. Just restore my original hard drive!

Thanks!

What probably happened is that you have to ensure grub knows where to find the systems. It takes a little tweaking.

I used this guide to help me install 8.04 on a EEE701.

However, since then, a new version of ubuntu has been created, called ubuntu-eee. Here's their site, it's an install of Ubuntu customized for the eee line.

Ben
Windows isn't the answer; it's the question. NO is the answer.

the ubuntu site is where i extracted ubuntu eee
and the first install everything went smooth

i believe my grub is located on my pen drive?
i dont know, i somehow need to put the grub on to my hard drive?

boy am i lost

thanks Ben, very similar, i have learned a lot from going through different forums. I think I need to move the GRUB from my pendrive to my main hard drive.

Keep in mind that before today GRUB was a kind of bug to me!

Back to the google searching!

Broke down and bought an external dvd drive to load XP.

I am going to run ubuntu off an 8g sd card instead.

Thanks Guys,

Tres

Solution!

I burned the ISO file to a cd and installed ubuntu through an external cd rom drive. This reformatted the partition and was unable to write the grub to the flash card since the install was through the cd rom drive.

Success!

Ben that step by step guide contains the solution for moving the GRUB to where it needs to be!

When loading through my flash drive the bootloader kept gettign written to my flash drive and not the main hard drive. Luckily I was able to fix this by burning the ISO to a disk, formatting the hard drive, and installing through an external CDROM. So my solution works but what you have linked to is the correct way to do it incase a user doesnt have a USB CDROM drive lying around!

Thanks again Ben!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back