Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing SMS admin console

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbatton1

Technical User
Nov 20, 2006
US
Hi to all in this forum. I am new to the forum so please bear with me. I am trying to install the Microsoft SMS Administrative Console on a desktop running Windows XP SP2. When I run the setup program everything appears to be going fine until I am presented with an options window. The window is completely blank...I try to finish the install anyway and the install completes and indicates it was a successful install. When I go to run the admin console and select System Management Server under All Programs....there is nothing listed in the dropdown menu on the right. Can someone let me know if I am overlooking something?....should I have some other program installed before I try to install SMS admin console? Any help would be greatly apprciated.

Hello, what version are you installing and is this on a primary site? Need a little more information on this...

Thanks for responding Count430...I am trying to install Microsoft Managment Console 2.0 on a primary site....thanks.

I think what Count430 wants to know is what version of SMS are you installing and not the Microsoft Management Console version?

When you are installing the console and it asks you for the name of the Site Server, does the admin account you are using to install the console also have access to the SMS Server? (In case your admin account doesn't have access to the server) Not sure if this will cause your options screen to be blank.

The other thing you can check for is the install log file on that XP workstation. On my PC, it appears as C:\SMSSETUP.LOG. See if that gives you any insight as to what is causing the install to fail.

Thanks VictorySabre....I still cannot install the console after trying a different domain admin user. I looked at the log and saw some install info....I have pasted a portion of the message here:

<11-20-2006 14:47:18> ********************************************************
<11-20-2006 14:47:18> ******************* Begin SMS Setup *******************
<11-20-2006 14:47:18> ********************************************************
<11-20-2006 14:47:19> Detected version 0
<11-20-2006 14:47:19> Phase is 0
<11-20-2006 14:47:19> SMS Build Number = 4160
<11-20-2006 14:47:19> SMS Version = 2.5
<11-20-2006 14:47:19> SMS Minimum Build Number = 800
<11-20-2006 14:47:25> Cannot read from the 1.x style site control file \site.srv\sitecfg.box\sitectrl.ct0
<11-20-2006 14:47:26> Failed to retrieve a verifiable SC File
<11-20-2006 14:53:55> ********************************************************
I don't know what it means because I am not that familiar with SMS....I was handed responsibility for SMS because my manager resigned. Any help is appreciated.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your problem. I did a search on Google and found two messages where users had reported a similar error, but no solution. Here are some questions that I have that may help eliminate some of the possibilities. Maybe someone else may chime in with the proper solution?

1) Have you tried installing the SMS Admin Console on another workstation and do you get the same problem?

2) If you log on to the SMS Server directly, are you able to access the SMS Admin Console without any problems?

3) Is the SMS Server running SMS 2003 SP2 or an older version? I know an older SMS Admin Console has problems accessing a new SMS Server, but not sure if that happens the other way around.

4) Are you running the admin console install from the SMS 2003 CD or was this from the EXE file downloaded from Microsoft? Have you tried a different source, such as another CD or try redownloading the EXE again? You can also try installing SMS 2003 SP1 Admin Console on your workstation and verify the install is performed successfully (though you won't be able to test it if your server is at a newer version) and then install the SP2 upgrade on top of the SP1 console.

Hi again VictorySabre and thanks for hanging in there with me. The answers to your questions are:

1. SMS Admin Console is running on another workstation. My manager installed it before he left. There was a problem initially with the install but he resolved it and didn't tell me what the fix was.

2. I can run SMS Admin Console from the server.

3. The SMS Server is running an older version.

4. I'm running Setup.exe from the SMS server. I don't have a CD.

I stumbled across some info on the web that says IIS has to be installed to install the SMS Admin Console. I will try that upon my return to the office. Thanks again for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back