Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing Sco Openserver 505

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwatix

MIS
Jan 12, 2004
MW
I have Acer Altos G610 with acceleraid160. I have BTLD diskette for mdac and used the boot string: defbootstr ahslink=mdac Sdsk=mdac(0,0,0,1). After displaying: Extracting BTLD distribution for mdac it displays the error message .../etc/uadmin getdev b mdac: No such device(error 19). Then it displays Panic: k_trap - Double fault trap type 0x00000008. Does anybody know how this could be resolved?

Thanx Stanhubble, but I still get the same error message.

I agree with stanhubble. It seems strange that your boot drive would have a logical unit of 1.

Since this is a raid controller, have you configured the controller to recognize your array and translated it to the ID SCO is expecting?

Have you confirmed that the drive (or array) is set as SCSI ID 0 and is connected on the primary channel of the controller?

Have you confirmed that your btld is for the correct version of SCO?

how about a link at boot, then mdac as the link device?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I have tried Edfair's suggestion but I get the message, 'no root disk controller was found'. Perhaps its really to do with the raid configuration which I didnt change as the machine was already configured though it had windows 2000 server. Could apeasecpc shed more light on the raid configuration otherwise the btld is indeed for SCO 5.

Isn't the mdac def boot string for the Mylex controller using the DAC960?

I would have thought for the acceleraid160 it would be the ad160 driver used in the def boot string.

Regarding your raid configuration, if it was previously working with Windows 2000 it should still be correct for SCO, unless you changed some of the hard drives. You only need to configure raid if you are setting up or changing an array.

I pulled the following information from

Problem:

What is the string to install SCO driver for Mylex Controller?

Solution:

The correct string to type in is :-

defbootstr ahslink=mdac Sdsk=mdac(0,0,0,1)

Then at the next prompt choose R.

I see from your original post that you did use this bootstring. Did you do the "R" at the next prompt or did it error out before you got there?

Have there been any changes to the drives or any new devices added to the system since the controller was used under Windows 2000?

when prompted for the R (replacement) I have typed it but the error comes well after it starts installing from the SCO CD. And as far as I know there has not been any changes to the system. As for the drivers I got them from after noting that the driver from the mylex CD was resulting into the error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back