Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing MS SQL Server 7.0 on Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

fousek

MIS
Nov 29, 2000
US
Folks!

I am trying to install MS SQL Server 7.0 on Windows 2000. During the installation, the service is started, but it cannot connect to the server. The only log file left after the failure is cnfgsvr.out. It contains this error (among others):

driver={sql server}; server=MyServer;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]Specified SQL Server not found.

Anyone have any clues or guesses?

Thanks in advance!

Palmer F

Tom,

I used the NT administrator account.

Palmer F

Some services will cause installation failure of SQL Server due to a Windows NT logon failure or time out. Make certain to stop the following services and set them on manual startup before you install SQL Server:

All Microsoft Exchange products
Microsoft SNA Server
Microsoft DB Web
Internet Information Server (FTP, Gopher and WWW)
All Oracle products
Any anti-virus software (McAfee, Norton, and so on)
Any backup products (ARC Server, Backup Exec, and so on)
Any additional client-server based applications

Do you think this might be it?
Tom Davis
tdavis@sark.com

Tom!

Thanks for your help. I don't think it is timing out. This is a new Win2000 Server and other processing is minimal. I have run the install on a spare Win2000 Server and that one worked fine. I really don't have a clue why this one is giving me trouble - and I don't know where to look for clues.

Palmer F

Yes, plenty of room in the registry. I tried to get it to connect using TCP/IP during the installation. I got a different error, but it still didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back