Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing IIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmits1975

Technical User
Mar 4, 2005
BE
Hi there,

I'm just getting started with ASP.NET. Now I want to install Visual Studio .NET Architect on my machine. I am running Windows XP professional SP2. When I follow the instructions given on the first installation cd, I try to install IIS by going to the control panel --> Add/Remove Programs --> Add remove Windows Components. I select the IIS checkbox, click on details, select the frontpage 2000 server extensions, and click OK. But soon after the installation process has started, I get the error message that a file cannot be copied from c:/I386. When I try to skip this file, I get another message of anothter file which can't be copied from thuis directory.
Does anyone know what is going on here?
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

It wants to copy files off the operating system CDROM and it thinks you have a copy of it on your C drive.

The \i386 directory is the install directory for WinNT/2000/XP operating systems.

OK, I see! But what should I do then, should I reinstall XP professional and make sure the files which could not be installed are copied to this directory somehow?

When it asks you for the first file, does it have a browse button?

If so then you could put the operating system CDROM in and browse to the \i386 on your DC.

If not then you could copy the \i386 from the CD to your C drive... that should be faster than installing the entire operating system.

Hi Sheco, I found something weird: the first file it asks for after having started the installation process is called staxmem.dl_. However, I checked in the I386 directory, and the file is definitely there! So, the point is not that the file cannot be found, but that it can't be copied by the installation program. I have to find out why, it might be because this is a managed machine with strict security setting. Or maybe not? Anyway, thanks for the help sofar, you put me on the right track!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back