Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing hotfixes or SP's after SP2 was installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLHacker

MIS
Aug 10, 2006
US
SQL Server 2005, SP2 (build 3042) running on Windows 2003 Server (SP2) functioning properly. However, I need to install hot fixes that came out after SP2 on the SQL Server instance. Actually, now that SP3 is out, I'd like to install that.

Here's the history: Installed SQL Server 2005 in June 2007, and applied SP2 successfully shortly after original install (probably immediately after rebooting machine). In August 2008, a co-worker attempted to install Hotfix 8, which should have brought the build number to 3257. The install of that hotfix was unsuccessful. I've reviewed the hotfix.log files, and see that after the attempts to install the hotfix, there are warning messages in the log, but nothing "helpful". For example: "Warning: Product HotFixSQL is missing LCID value". I have no idea what that means, and searching for it hasn't yielded anything helpful either.

So, last week, I tried installing SP3 on the machine, and it "appeared" to install successfully (no error messages anywhere and a "success" message after install completed. However, after rebooting the machine, and opening SSMS, the build number has not changed (still on 3042) and executing "SELECT @@VERSION" shows the same thing.

Anyone know how to find what is causing this problem, and/or how to fix it?

Are there any other instances on that server that you may have upgraded inadvertantly?

Thanks

J. Kusch

As a side note, fire up SP3 again and see if it will give you the option to upgrade the instance.

If it does, then SP3 is not on the instance.

You can either stop there and exit out or continue with the SP3 upgrade to see if it gets baked in this time.

Thanks

J. Kusch

Jay,

No, only one instance on the server. I can try the SP3 "redo", but don't know what that's going to get me, except seeing if it will allow the install to run again. I really need help figuring out how to correct whatever is wrong with the SQL Server installer.

except seeing if it will allow the install to run again." is a big piece of the initial pizzle.

Thanks

J. Kusch

And it not necessarily an issue with the installer (since it works for thousands of other folk) but more an issue with you configuration and/or environment.

Thanks

J. Kusch

Jay,

I know it's an issue with the installer, and "thousands of folk" have had considerable problems with SQL Server installer since the release of 2005. If any portion of the installation bombs, it puts the "status" of the installer in a weird state, and it is incredibly difficult to change that status. I've been doing this for a while (> 8 years) and have considerable experience with doing installs. This is just the first time I've run into hotfix and service pack installs that appear to successfully install, and the build doesn't change with it.

I hear you. SO what was the result of running SP3 again?

Thanks

J. Kusch

Weird" to say the least. So, I run the executable, and it creates the "hotfix folder" on the E:\ drive. (By the way, this server has 5 drives, so it actually does have an E:\ drive...) ??? Why it isn't creating it on the C:\ drive is beyond me (may not be significant, but I'm looking for anything strange at this point).

Then, when the screen comes up to select the components that should be upgraded, none of them are checked by default (which they usually are). And, when I click on them, each of the components shows "Upgraded" in the Status field.

Finally, when it scanned for files that would be locked by applying this update, it found none!!! Typically (or in my experience anyway) these installs list the DB engine, SQL Alert, and depending on components installed/started, SSIS, SSAS and Notification Services that should be stopped before proceeding OR to reboot after the update is instlled. Again, nothing was found when I ran SP3 again.

I cancelled the install on the last screen as this is a production server, and I can't test what it will actually do during business hours. However, I don't think it's going to do anything anyway. I'll test that theory tonight to verify.

Anything spark an idea?

LOL ... that is strange!!!

By chance is the E: your system disc? I have seen a couple servers set up in my time that did not use the default C: disc.

Can you also fire up Add/Remove programs and see what version of SQL and its components are available to remove?

Thanks

J. Kusch

Jay,

No, the E:\ drive is not the system drive. C:\ is system, D:\ is .ldf files, E:\ is .mdf files, F:\ is tempdb and G:\ is backups. And...I've already read the MS article about moving system dbs to "non-default" locations, and have verified that the master and resource .mdf files are in the same location (although they are on E:\) which MS says is "hunky dorry". :)

In Add/Remove programs, the only thing listed under SQL Server 2005 is:
"Service Pack 2 for SQL Server Database Services 2005 ENU (KB921896)" and "Service Pack 2 for SQL Server Tools and Workstation Components 2005 ENU (KB921896)".

And...at least two hotfix install attempts have been made along with SP3...obviously to no avail.

WOW ... a bit of a puzzler ...

Well IMHO, I would suggest during the off hours, since this is a Prod machine, going ahead and try re-installing SP2.

That install "should" blow right on thru and if there are any pieces possibly missing maybe it will give you the option to repair or just may hammer them in place automatically.

I would then follow that up with a reboot and then try installing SP3.

Lets see if that shakes it free bud.

Thanks

J. Kusch

Thanks Jay! I really appreciate all your effort to help.

What do you think about trying to uninstall all service packs, and trying SP3 after it's down to just the base (RTM) install? Do you think there's any benefit in doing it that way, or do you think there's a chance that SP2 can be "healed"?

I think your idea of getting it down to the bare RTM is an option BUT ... I always have a queezy feeling on backing out Service Pack (which if I remember correctly may not be an option).

If it were my machine and I had a maint window to accomplish the task, I would reinstall SQL 100%.

I would install the base SQL and then apply SP3.

I would back up all the DBs, script out all my jobs, logins, ect. and then I would drop SQL all together.

Being that it is a Prod machine in a somewhat flacky state, I would feel better knowing all the correct components are in place and certified.

Just make it easier later down the road when an issue arises (and being a DBA we all know they will and in most cases at the most inopportune times - lol).

When that fire does pop, I would feel much better knowing its "probably" not the SQL installation since I corrected it as oppposed to having that grey cloud (flacky SQL install) hanging over my head.

Thanks

J. Kusch

Jay,

I agree (and even more important, so does my manager :). Actually, the performance and function (mostly) of the SQL Server is fine right now, but you're right...it's never a fun feeling when something goes wrong (or "popping fire") it's never fun to wonder whether the behind-the-scenes problem with the version is included in the problem or not.

Yes, you're right...now that I thought about trying to back out a SP, I remember that it's never a good idea to try that.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back