Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing Gimp

Status
Not open for further replies.

cian

Technical User
Oct 11, 2001
Pretty quiet forum here...

I tried to install Gimp on WinXP Home, it seemed to work fine. Next day when I started it I got an error:

"The procedure entry point libiconv_set_relocation_prefix could not be located in the dynamic link library iconv.dll"

I have uninstalled/installed it a few times but it still give the same error.

Any ideas what the problem might be? driver error? Possible to fix?

Any advice appreciated!

- É -

If anyone has the same problem it's bloody awkward to fix this. I had to copy the dll files into the main program folder just to get it to start and then do the same into the main plugin folders. It now works but it's very buggy!

Gimp obviously is more suited to experienced users who are able to compile it. It's no good for users who want a quick and easy install.

having said that a number of Windows installers have been released by Gimp users recently to coincide with the release of Gimp 1.3. Get onto the window users mailing list for details.

Alternatively try Free Serif Draw, it's free also, maybe not as good but it's less of a pain in the ass to install! :)

- É -

I installed gimp 1.2.4 on my Win XP pro laptop with no problems. You could try reinstalling by removing the program through Control Panel, and downloading the latest Windows version. I'm very impressed at the depth of this program. Folks put a lot of time into it for no pay. I've used Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop. Their price to performance ratio is much lower. If you want simple you may have to pay for it.

Thanks for the heads up on the other free program!

guitarzan8
sorry for the delayed response.

I have given up on Gimp for the moment 1.3.22 looks good but i just can't get it to run. I will wait for the 2 version which is coming shortly and then do anything I can to get it to work.

In the mean time I am using that Serif Draw 5, which is decent but more for posters etc. It is perfect for people who want quick and easy graphics but it's a totally different approach to graphic design that Gimp.

There's no harm having a few different options installed :)

- É -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back