Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing Exchange 2000 to a second server in a single domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebac

Technical User
Jun 13, 2002
AU
Hi,

Hopefully this should be a pretty easy one resolve as we only have one subnet, LAN and domain. We had three Win 2000 AD servers running with one being an exchange 2k server. I backed up the Exchange information store to tape succesfully last night and I thought I'll try and restore the Information Store onto a seperate and fresh Exchange server just to get some practice in some real life disaster recovery work. So I installed a fresh Win 2k Server (called \\MAIL-TEST) and then ran the Active Directory Wizard without a hitch and then installed Exhange's Active Directory Connector. No probs at this point.

However I try to install Exchange and I get the following error.

Multiple components cannot be assigned the requested action(s) because :
- setup is unable to access the windows 2000 active directory.
- Failed to contact the Schema Master server for this Active Directory forest.

Suggestions anybody?

Why would you wanna install the active directory connector for exchange ??
You are allready running exchange 2000. ADC is only needed with Exchange 5.5 / windows 2000 AD enviorments.....

The test server should me a member of a Windows 2000 AD domain... than exchange 2000 would install with no problem..

Patrick
MCSE, MCP, A+, CCA

Thanks for the reply.

I will uninstall the AD connector when I get into work tomorrow and try re-installing Exchange 2k. At the moment the Server is running Win2k SP2 (no security patches applied as it is only a once off test system). I ran the Active Directory wizard ok and it appears as a listed server. Like you say it shouldn't be a problem to install. I'll post again if I have problems.

Ok, I uninstalled Exchange's Active Directory Connector and then tried to re-install Exchange 2000. Result, same deal.

I can browse the "Active Directory Users and Computers" management console no problems. That would suggest that the Active Directory is set-up, no?

Ideas anyone! I really would like to be able to perform a test disaster recovery, so any help would be most welcome.

It sounds like your exchange server could not find your local domain controller via DNS. You must make sure that the DNS setting of the Exchange server points to the IP address of the domain controller. Sounds weird? -- not really. When you install Exchange 2000 it must be able to talk to the domain controller's DNS to locate the master schema server. Please let me know how it goes.

Sb

Ooops. Didn't realise this one was still open. Turns out the original Win2k server which died not too long afterwards still had lingering operations master roles. I simply seized the roles on another server and presto, it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back