Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem installing bluetooth dongle

Status
Not open for further replies.

8Bits

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2002
IE
Hi all, I have a bafo bluetooth dongle. I had it working fine under win 2k
but I recently updated to XP. Now when I plug in the device and try to
install windows keeps picking it up half way through the install and just
adds it as a generic bluetooth device. The problem then is I have the
windows bluetooth icon in the taskbar and the devices own icon which is
permenantly red (disabled) which I'm guessing is because it conflicts with
the windows one ?

I've let it install the windows way then removed it from the device manager
and started installing it via the supplied softwere but yet again, half way
through the install windows "found new hardware" kicks in.

Anyone any ideas how to solve this proble? Any help is appreciated.
Best regards
gerryR

find the new drivers for the product on line, because it sounds to me that the drivers are out of date. XP recognizes the old drivers and it won't work very efficiently. Find the new drivers and install them and see what happens.

Cheers for the reply dragon, but I have downloaded the latest drivers from the manufacturers site and they say that they are XP compatable so I don't know where to go from here.

ahh well

cheers again
gerryR

Try this: Unplug the bluetooth device, then follow this procedure exactly to display all the hidden devices in Device Manager. Then remove all bluetooth devices & reboot. Now install the manufacturer's software before plugging in the bluetooth device.

You mention that you upgraded from Win2k to XP Pro. How did you do the upgrade??? Did you simple upgrade by using an upgrade install? Or did you wipe the drive and start all over.

IF you did an upgrade from an upgrade disk, this may be your problem. Altho things seem to go well wih an upgrade, it isn't always the case. I have a pc here at work that we upgraded from NT4 to Win2k. The install went fine, so we thought. Adding our doogle was a nightmare. We removed everything and anything. No luck. The doogle simply failed to work. Even with upgraded drivers. We reformatted the drive and installed Win2k and the doggle has worked fine since! (And it's been over a yr). The doogle, btw, is a parellel doogle and counts the number of pages we've scanned or otherwise processed. Something to thing about: Reformat and install a fresh copy of the OS.

Thanks for the replies lads, unfortunatly no luck.

pweegar: It was a freash install (always try to avoid the "upgrade" route.

smah: I tried your meathod, but for some bloody reason XP still kicks in it's "I found new hardware" as soon as I plug in the dongle, even though I had the manufacturers drivers installed before I pluged in the dongle.

Cheers anyway lads
gerryR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back