Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installation of Oracle 9i on windows2000 Pentium iv

Status
Not open for further replies.

hongz

Programmer
Feb 3, 2004
US
I am trying to install Oracle 9i on windows2000/pentium IV. The installation simply quit without doing anything.
( It is a new machine. I just formated the disks and installed windows2000. ) I had the same problem before with ORacle 8i installation. I solved it by
1. Copy the Oracle software CD into the harddisk
2. Find all copies of symcjit.dll in my pc and rename all of them.
3. Start the installation from setup.exe in harddisk.

I tried to do the same thing. It did not help.
Anybody had the same problem, and a solution of it?
By the way, I installed 9i on serveral other machines without problem. I am clueless now.

did the oracle universal installer start? where exactly did the installation quit? could be a service pack issue with windows; or a java vm issue on the comp; or maybe the cd or cd-reader has gone bad; process of elimination dude good luck

Thanks wekoweko.
The oracle universal installer DID NOt start. You click the setup.exe, it does nothing.
It can not be CD problem, cause I copied the software into the hard drive.
The renaming of file 'symcjit.dll' is supposed to deal with a Java issue.
So, it is very likely a 'service pack issue with windows' as you said. I am getting the latest service pack on the machine now. Hope it will solve the problem.

Hi this is a annoying Problem for both Oracle 8i and 9i being installed on Pentium 4 processor. I'm assuming that the Oracle Installer did not show up or run. This is what I did to reolve the problem on one of my machines:

Make sure you have applied Service pack 4 for windows 2000 on the machine, like you did before:

1. Copy the contents of the \install directory to a temporary directory on your harddisk.

2. Search for all copies of the 'symcjit.dll' file, and rename them to symcjit.old'.

3. Go to the \install directory and open the 'oraparam.ini' file for
editing. Please note this file is write-protected.

4. Change the JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS parameter to
JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS=-nojit -ms16m -mx32m

5. Save the oraparam.ini file.

6. Start the installation again from your disk(not from CD).

Regards
Bobby

Thanks Boby,
It was exactly the 'annoying' problem as you described. Now, I have the lastest windows Service pack on the machine, and did 1, 2, 6 as in your list. The installation went through OK.
It is real annoying that Oracle 9i still has this problem!

Thanks wekoweko.
Some thing came up but this time iam i think iam getting JAVA Error
its saying "cannot find the main class. Programwill exit!"
Any solution?
I am trying to install ODP Components for .net

Thanks

RaviShankar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back