Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem in printer attached to the serial termina

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutahir

Programmer
May 26, 2001
PK
I am facing problem in sending printing to the printer attached to /dev/ttyt1a. Whenever I use lp commend the output is shown on the terminal screen instead of going to the printer. Please help

You don't say what type of serial card you are using. With most serial cards you have a separate tty device to describe the printer. For example , one equinox board generates ttyiac for a terminal and ttyiaclp for the printer device. You would use /dev/ttyiaclp as the port for the printer. Built into the device is the code to turn the terminal display off/on and the printer on/off. There should also be a serial card setup utility that will allow you to set the ttytype which changes the print on/off code.
Lacking these tools, or using standard ports, you can create a new printer model and include the printer on/off codes around the portion of the code that actually outputs the file to the ttydevice. You could also do the same thing in the printer interface script but it is a better practice to do it in models.
And failure to match the ttytype to the terminal will also create this problem.
Sorry this is so long. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I'm not sure I understand your problem.
Do you try to send data to the printer attached to
terminal which is on tty1a port or what?
If you do so, then it is 'local printing'.
In that case, you need 'escape sequences' which
will tell the terminal to redirect data to the printer.
Those 'sequences' are specific for each terminal type
( for vt100 it is '\033[5i' - for 'start printing',
and '\033[4i' for 'stop printing' ).
You need to send those sequences or to include them in your
printer interface file.

Please, note me if this helps.
Strugy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back