Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem importing newsgroup messages to Windows Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncp

Technical User
Aug 28, 2005
GB

Not sure if my WM is v6 or 7. (thought it was v7 but Help uselessly states "microsoft windows. Version 6.0.6000 . . .)

I've done an OS and WM reinstall and in WM I create message accounts for email and newsgroups.
I can't get import to work so I close WM and copy the .eml from backup to WM inbox and Sent folders/
This works for mail but not for mewsgroup msgs.
With newsgroup msgs WM creatss "recovered" folders and moves the msgs to 'em.

And the import fail is :-
When I import "messages" (do u mean email or newsgroup or both, Bill ?) and navigate to the backup folder
WM states "no msgs or folder in use". (The newsgroup msgs are .nws and I presume WM is expecting .eml).
The import "news account settings" option reports "no other newsgroups could be found"

Any suggestions ?

John
//God I hate micro$oft

Windows version 6.0 is Vista. Windows 7 is 6.1

And as this is not really an "email issue" but an "application issue", I would suggest that forum1583 would be the better place to pose your question

johncp said:
//God I hate micro$oft

With you on that, switched completely to Linux Mint as an OS 5 - 6 years ago, does everything I want with no hassle and no more "Installing update 1 of 500. ... Please wait".

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Chris

My take was that it's an email client issue so this seemed an appropriate forum. I'll happy to move to another but that's for the admins.

It's frustrating that Windows Mail seems to have no easy working means to restore backup msgs, .eml or .nws, so I guess I'll just have to burn time scrabbling for a solution !.

John

My take was that it's an email client issue so this seemed an appropriate forum.

That's the difference, this forum is more general than problems with a particular client, so for client problems you have to ask people who are using that client.

I'll happy to move to another but that's for the admins.

just repost and report this thread for deletion.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back