Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Getting to BigBrother Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

johngiggs

Technical User
Oct 30, 2002
US
Recently I noticed that I can no longer get to the BigBrother home page on my Apache server. I am running Apache version 1.3.27 on Solaris 8. I am getting the message "Forbidden. You don't have permission to access /bb/bb.html on this server." I know this is some sort of permissions issue, but I'm not sure how to resolve it. I created a symbolic link from the Big Brother directory /export/home/bb/bb/ /usr/local/apache/public/bb. The permissions on the directory /export/home/bb/bb/ 777 and it is owned by bb and the group is sys.

I have attempted to create a new directory and put a HTML file there and I can access it fine, so I know it's something to do with the permissions on this specific directory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

use ls -ln and see if it is a symlink, with other permissions on the target

TheGrey,

I did an ls -ln and the permissions are below.

<>**<> ls -ln bb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 1 22 May 4 14:07 bb -> /export/home/bb/bb/www
<>**<> ls -ltd /export/home/bb/bb/www drwxrwxrwx 12 bb sys 512 May 5 10:19 /export/home/bb/bb/www

From what I can see the permissions should be fine. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,

John

Does anyone else have any thoughts or ideas as to what the problem is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Try checking the permissions on each directory in the path.

I tried changing the permissions on each directory to 777 and that still didn't work. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

John

Did you check your <Directory> settings within your httpd.conf?

I finally got it working with an Alias!! The line below in my httpd.conf did the trick.

Code:
Alias /bb "/export/home/bb/bb1.9e-btf/[URL unfurl="true"]www/"[/URL]

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back