Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem getting burned ISO images to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

denodave

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
US
Some people misinterpreted my last posting. I know how to operate Nero and EZCD v.4 software....the problem is that out of some dozen or so attempts to burn bootable (Linux install disks) ISO images to disk I have only had two or three successful install disks come out of it. My boss (another IT professional) has had the same experience with EZCD software.

Is there some trick to get these to come out properly or is there a problem with the original images or what...? It is not the media or the burn speed or any other typical issue that we have seen before.

Nero has been better than that, but still difficult. Any suggestions out there?

Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

When you say:
"[blue]I have only had two or three successful install disks come out of it[/blue]"

What's the error message? Do they finish burning, but just don't work? Where did the ISO images come from? Does the same image work one time but fail another?

Need more info...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Make certain when you burn you specify Disk-at-once, and not track-by-track.

Try and image extractor to simply extract the files from the image and compile the disks manually, it takes time but might solve your problem.

Make sure that you burn the disks as type " ISO-9660 " and not " joliet ". I've made a few boot disks and they won't work if burned Joliet, but work fine if ISO-9660.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Make sure you have no programs running in the background, including screen savers. Also try burning at a slower speed, 2x works good for me.

Thanks for suggestions: Sypher9878, do you know where I can get such an "image extractor" ?? It would be interesting to try this. Cdogg, the answer is that there was no error message-the disks simply will not boot up into the installation. And just to be clear, the install was tried with a drive that had just been zero-filled/low-level formatted, so there wasn't anything else on it. I also tried using setup floppies but the cdr's were not readable. Rockerfellerz, I did use the ISO9660 mode, and I am pretty sure I used disk-at-once.

Any more suggestions are welcome, please respond if this gives any more insight.

Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

Sounds like cheap media to me. Same process, some work, some don't, would have to be a physical variable, which likely boils down to the discs. The 100-spindles for $5 from no-name companies are more likely, but you can get a bad batch from the brand names, too. Sometime you can get around it with an incredibly slow burn speed, like 2x, but I'd grab another stack of media and see.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...but I'm just a C man trying to see the light

I agree with icrf. It sounds like a physical variable is involved. However, if that doesn't seem to be the problem, I would ultimately recommend you use another app. Sometimes ISO images that are made with one program aren't 100% compatible in another.

As mentioned in the last thread, I would use an app like fireburner. It's shareware that comes with a free trial. Just go to and run a search for it.

While you're there, it wouldn't hurt to run a search for extract ISO which should give a ton of hits for other programs that Sypher9878 was getting at. UltraISO is just one example...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Usually just disk 1 is bootable. I know that's the case with Red Hat.

Jim

Look up Daemon Tools. It lets you create four virtual CDROM drives and you can mount a variety of image files there. I use that for StarCraft that requires a CD to start, but I don't want to shuffle discs around all the time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...but I'm just a C man trying to see the light

Images also tend to be for either 'disk at once' or 'track at once' (I find more of the latter kind) - ie, if you burn it one way & no good, just burn it the other and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back