Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem for configuring my first Exchange 2000 on SBS2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicko1977

IS-IT--Management
Jan 20, 2004
FR
Hello,

I got littles problems with my configuration :
- i have 3 registered domain names and emails come to my ISP
- i have installed Exchange 2000 with policy adress that match my registered names. I configure the POP3 connector to check my IPS emails and store in my local boxes.

All seems to works well but i have problem send emails to some domains (aol, yahoo). I think it's done a reverse dns lookup on my emails going out from my exchange server, and it doesn't correspond to my ISP IP. So it consider it as spam. How could i resolve it ? I leave default smtp properties, do i have to relay my email to the ISP who take cares of my domain names ? where i could do that

Second problem is when someone in the network (per exemple toto@custom.net) want to send a email to someone that have the mail configured on the ISP (tata@custom.net) but not on the Exchange, it does'nt go out and tell it doesn't exist. There's a way to resolve it too?

Thk !!

Nico

Nicko:

I think I can help you with your first problem... or at least shed some light.

What type of ISP are you using? Is it DSL? I have been fighting a similar problem with DSL at one of my domains. AOL has a problem with SPAM. So they are blocking mail from many ISP's for that reason.
Many SPAMMERs are using DSL, and for that metter cable, as they are harder to track. So, AOL just cuts them off. The biggest problem is the dynamic IP's, AOL just cuts out the whole lot of IP's from the ISP, which makes their job much easier.

As for reverse DNS, is your ISP handling your Domain name? They should have an MX record for all of the domains located at your site.

Hope this helps,
Glenn

Yes i have DSL connection with dynamic IP. Maybe i could pass to static IP then ?

Nicko:

I am fighting a similar problem at one of my sites.

Do you have your own domain names? How are they being resolved? I am using a service called no-ip. This service maps your dynamic IP to your domain names using an installed service on your server to update their DNS servers with your current IP.

I think even if you get a static IP from your ISP, you will continue to have AOL/Yahoo problems as they are looking at the address range from the ISP, not if it is static or not. Unfortunately, the address you get will most likely be one of the dynamic addresses that is permanently assigned to you.

No-ip offers a service to have your server forward mail to their server (basically relay through). This makes the mail look like it is coming from a server outside of your ISP's range.

Hope that helps.

Glenn

Had same problem here. I had to configure my SMTP to relay mail out through my's ISP's SMTP server, rather than sending out from my own DSL line, which is apparently blocked.

ok, i configure my exchange 2000 with a smtp connector to relay through my isp. It seems to work (aol and yahoo ones receives my emails). Thx for the advices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back