Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Do Not Import (Skip) in Access 2003 Import Specification Box 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDLynch

Technical User
Nov 21, 2003
US
At my office, I was recently upgraded to WinXP and Office 2003. (Stop Laughing, ok?)

I go to use Access 2003 for the first time to perform a task I did hundreds of times using Access 2000.

In a new database, I point to File, then Get External Data, then Import. I select an Excel Spreadsheet that has multiple tabs. I select the tab I want to import, then allow the wizard defaults until I get to the Field Options. There were 3 columns of data out of 10 total columns that I want to skip by checking the box next to Do Not Import (Skip). Using Access 2000, I successfully accomplished this many times.

Using Access 2003, it seems as if no matter what column I have selected, when I check the box next to "Do Not Import (Skip)", it is applied to all columns. Moving to an adjacent colunm and unchecking the box removes that selection for all columns, not just the column I have selected.

Is this an Access 2003 bug/glitch, or is it something I am doing incorrectly? I perform a daily task of importing this Excel file into Access and skipping a few of the columns when importing. As it stands now, It looks like Access 2003 won't let me do that.

Thank you for your help. This forum has served me well in the past.

Michelle Lynch

I haven't run into your problem specifically, but I've also had some problems with the import wizard in A2K3. For whatever reason now, in the import wizard, when you click on subsequent columns to highlight them, any changes I type in (such as applying a field name) only overwrite column 1. I can have the 3rd column highlighted, any change I apply still goes to only column one. The only way I've been able to use it is to import the file and then change the table layout. Wish I knew the answer because it's quite annoying.

I'm using Access 2002 and have the same problem as SV04Turbo. No matter which column I highlight the first one appears in the field options selection boxes above. Also the data type box is grayed out.

I've searched on this forum and microsoft support, but all I've found relates to importing text comma delimited files, not Excel.

Susan

Glad I'm not the only one. It's very annoying. I've been using Access for years and have never had a problem with this. Hope Bill Gates can take care of this one soon.

swoodring27's link is exactly what was needed for this problem renaming the columns in the Import Wizard. The Micrsoft link states it is for Excel, but it also works for .csv files (which was what our problem is).

One tip though, after you run the hotfix, check the file properties on the files Acwzlib.mde, Acwzmain.mde and Acwztool.mde and make sure the dates match up with the dates shown in the Microsoft article link. If they don't, rename those files in the Office directory to Acwzlib.mde.old, etc. Then rerun the patch and it will put the proper files out there and it'll work.

Pete

I've found the article above and it was exactly what my problem is; however, where do you download the file? It states that I need Office2003-kb837003-glb.exe... but I can't find a download link.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

-David

---

David R. Longnecker
CCNA, MCSA, Network+, A+
Management Information Services
Wichita Public Schools, USD 259

PHV ~~ Thanks for the tip. Got the patch and working like a charm.

Thanks to everyone for all their work in this solution!

-David

---

David R. Longnecker
CCNA, MCSA, Network+, A+
Management Information Services
Wichita Public Schools, USD 259

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back