Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem /dev/rmt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FarahRegal

Technical User
Jun 13, 2001
GB
High guys

I can not access /dev/rmt/0. I tried to tar up or dump some files into /dev/rmt/0 .
Example: # ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0 /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s4, then it replies doesnot exist /dev/rmt/0. I even changed 0 into one. My server has only one extra type device which is target 4. I even ran at OK prompt Probe-scsi-all to check device's lists and the tape drive is listed there.
Is there any Idea what am I missing?
any help will be appreciated.
thanks .

F. regal
good luck
"think twice and hit enter once"

Does the file /dev/rmt/0 exist? It might have been trashed somehow :-( or replaced by an ordinary file, rather than a device.

Try touch /reconfigure & then reboot - on our servers, this will cause it to check all hardware & create the relevant devices ;-) TandA

Day by day, the penguins steal my sanity.

you can check the status of the drive with :
mt -f /dev/rmt/0 status
if this command tells device not found or other error
halt the server and do "boot -r" at the prompt, this will reconfigure your devices.

I have already checked and reconfigured, using boot -r at OK promp and reboot -- -r at command line. But still no hope
thank you for your help.

F. regal
good luck

lfoata's #mt -f /dev/rmt/0 status is quite useful ti check whether the tape drive is known by system.

If not,maybe your tape drive's SCSI ID (Hardware setting) (I suppose it's SCSI) is not the same as the /dev/rmt/0 says. #ls -l /dev/rmt/0 will tell you what SCSI ID the /dev/rmt/0 file is attached to (eg:something as ......./st@3,0 then the ID is 3).

San

The Tape drive is not known by the system. I run before #mt -f /dev/rmt/0 status. .

F. regal
good luck

If the machine has had a tape drive before the device name could be different.
Check /dev/rmt and see what devices are in there.
It could be /dev/rmt/1 or 2 if devices were previously configured.
If there are other devives in /dev/rmt put a tape in the drive and do mt -f /dev/rmt/?
status for each device and see which one responds.

If the machine has had a tape drive before the device name could be different.
Check /dev/rmt and see what devices are in there.
It could be /dev/rmt/1 or 2 if devices were previously configured.
If there are other devives in /dev/rmt put a tape in the drive and do mt -f /dev/rmt/?
status for each device and see which one responds.( Replace the "?" with each device number in turn.)

What type of drive ? Is it listed as a supported drive in the /kernel/drv/st.conf file? If not then you will have to load a driver and vi this file.

What does the probe see the device as?
You can go to the /dev/rmt and delete all the device entries
( 0, 0mb, 1, 1mb & etc).
Afterward run the drvconfig command
# drvconfig; tapes

This can be ran without rebooting. Now look at the the /dev/rmt file and see what devices are showned.

When I went /dev/rmt/0, there is only Zero device [0]. There are no any [0mb, 1 and 1mb]. Therefore, I deleted as you advice me, I ran. # drvconfig; tapes
The problem were solved by Tuka and Mikeclark

Thank you very much, all guys who helped me. .

F. regal
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back