Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Deleting Extra Copies of Digital Pictures 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertBC

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
Good afternoon. In trying to transfer some digital photos from the Pictures file to a CD, there was some sort of snafu in which extra copies of the pictures were added in the file folder. In trying to help, I held down the Ctrl key, click on each duplicate copy and then click "Delete Selected Items." They went to the Recycle Bin but it seems additional copies were added to the Pictures folder at the same time. Does anyone know how to get all of these extra copies deleted from the folder? Thanks.

The Ctrl key is also used for making duplicate files if you select a file and drag it even a minute distance.
If I understand you correctly you have created a whole heap of files that are copies of originals. You will have to delete them manually. Apologies if I have misunderstood your problem.

Thanks linney for your reply. I gather what you are saying is that we have to manualy delete each photo copy one at a time. Is that correct?

Use the Ctrl key to keep your to be deleted selections highlighted, just don't accidentally drag the files (the mouse arrow) around otherwise it will create more copies. (Practice on one file, how to use the Ctrl key to make copies of files by dragging the file and you'll see what I mean).

When you have carefully highlighted all the to be deleted files, delete them in one go.

Hi linney. Thanks for your second response. I did what you said and got all of them deleted. Maybe doing them all at once was the key. Previous, I had been doing 10 or 20 deletions at a time. Again, many thanks. You've got a gold star coming!

Remember too, the Search program has the ability to search for files in any given folder. By using the search term "copy" in the filename box you can find all the duplicate files, highlight (or select all via edit), right-click and delete them in one go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back