Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem deleting all linked tables 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbarr

Programmer
Sep 15, 2003
US
I created the following code to delete all linked tables in my database (Access 200):

--------------------------------------------------------
Dim tbl As TableDef

Dim dbs As Database
Set dbs = CurrentDb

For Each tbl In dbs.TableDefs
If Len(tbl.Connect) > 0 Then ' Is a linked table
Debug.Print "Deleting table " & tbl.name & " ... "
dbs.TableDefs.Delete tbl.name
End If
Next tbl

---------------------------------------------------------

When I execute the code it goes through the collection of tables and deletes "some" of the linked tables.

If I execute the code again, it again deletes "some" of the linked tables.

Thus, in order to delete all linked tables I have to execute this code several times.

My question is, since I'm using the connection string to determine if the table is a linked table, then why does it return true some times and false on other times for the same table? I'm assuming this is what is happening as it is the only thing that makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

- Bruce

Try something like this :
For i = dbs.TableDefs.Count -1 To 0 Step -1
If Len(dbs.TableDefs(i).Connect) > 0 Then ' Is a linked table
Debug.Print "Deleting table " & dbs.TableDefs(i).Name & " ... "
dbs.TableDefs.Delete dbs.TableDefs(i).Name
End If
Next i

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Because browsing the collection downward will prevent the Loop iteration to be broken by the deletion.
Sorry for my poor english.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

do you mean that if i delete something in position 5 of a collection then whatever is in position 6 moves to position 5 but the counter moves to position 6 which now has a different value?

Yes, there is NEVER a hole in collections.

Hope This Helps, PH.

PHV

very interesting and helpful
I've had a similar issue with dynamically creating datasheet subforms ... and even the sample-code in the MS Help doesn't consider this ... !

merci beaucoup.

fly

Martin Serra Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back