Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem defragmenting in normal mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

perchy

Technical User
Jun 20, 2003
US
It will run all day and not get anywhere. Does fine in MS-DOS mode. I've tried stoping everything else while running it and it's no good. Is defragmenting in DOS mode the same as in normal, as far as speeding up things go?

perchy,
When you say, "[blue]I've tried stoping everything[/blue]", what are you talking about?

The way you want to accomplish that is to use CTRL-ALT-DEL and end task on everything except explorer. Also, disable power management and your screen saver.

If the problem still occurs, there's something else running at startup that's causing your problem. The best workaround will be Dillinger99's suggestion and just run it from Safe Mode (hitting F8 at bootup).

[tab]

Two Options:

1. Get a copy of the winme defragmenter. It does alot better job than the original that came with Win98. You can get it here: then Get a copy of enditall2. It will close down all open programs except the ones that need to be running all with one mouse click. You will need to be sure to read the readme file. You can get that here:
2. If that doesn't me your fancy download, Power DeFrag v2.10(it's free). You can get that one here, You need to click on downloads and version 2.10 is on that page. It reboots and runs defrag then reboots.

Either way, still download the winme defrag.

Hope this helps you.

I got diskeeper lite which is from what I understand the same program that XP and 2000 use. I think microsoft bought them.

Thanks everybody. I've got it nailed now! It just took a little common sense.

-Perchy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back