Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem defragmenting hard drive win98 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISP
Dec 28, 2002
CA
i cannot can for wrrors on my hard drive or defragment. something keeps stopping both processes. at times it says the info in my hard drive changes during process.

what can i do? i've tried for hours.
thanks

Try booting into safe mode to stop all the background processes. Then run Scandisk to check the drive for errors. Then run Defrag. (To get to safe mode press F8 during the POST)

Kim Leece.

thanks! i will press F8 right now and get back (i hope!)

hmmmmmmmmmm don't understand hot to get into Safe mode?

Reboot the computer - as it is starting keep tapping the F8 key - it should bring up a menu screen where one of the choices is Safe mode.

Kim Leece.

Shut down Windows as you normally would - Either Shutdown, or Restart.

Kim Leece.

thanks truly very much, might take awhile to return as i will then defragment and scan errors, but will eventually return with results and thanks

always something havent gotten to safe mode yet

F8 didnt respond during reboot

tried running msconfig then on the advanced menu i checked enable startup menu and when the black screen showed with options of startup mode, keyboard or mouse had no effect on selecting #3 start in safe mode

???????

Well it should work by using the arrow keys to select safe mode and the enter key to start it - but if it doesn't.....
Option 1. Reboot the computer and while it is loading Windows turn the computer off - this will cause it to automatically boot into safe mode when you restart it.
Option 2. Press Control Alt and Del keys together. This will bring up a Window to close running programs. Select the programs one by one and click End Task. Close ALL the programs EXCEPT!!!! Explorer & Systray. This will stop anything writing to disk while you are scanning or defraging

Kim Leece.

option #1 worked best out of all of your helpful suggestions, shut it down during startup.
defrag and scan disc ran fine. MANY thanks, i've learned lots from you.

i do have one other issue that happened just prior to ur suggestions.

upon loading startup i get an error message "WJView Error. could not execute main: System cannot find file"

i tried searching this to fix seems its MS javascript file? I did downoad some security pathes just prior to getting this error message.

WJView is the Windows java script viewer, you don't really need it - it should be in windows/system32 - wjview.exe - just delete it!

Kim Leece.

Hi,In order to defrag 1)you have to close all applications.2)scandisk 3)defrag 4)restart.
Good luck.

Bit late in getting to you but some 98 systems respond to the Ctrl key rather than F8. If you want to bypass the Start menu and go straight into Safe Mode then tap F5 during the boot.

Bit late, but might as well put some info in - If you have a screen saver running during the defrag that will keep it from finishing and give you the disk contents changed message - Know many people who didn't realize the screen saver caused them DAYS of downtime =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back