Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Creating Workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

wagnerju

Programmer
Jan 29, 2004
CA
Hi
I have a question. I'm trying to create a windows workgroup between two computers at home. One computer is running Windows XP Pro and the other is running windows 98. I've created a common workgroup and named each host, but for some reason my XP computer cannot resolve the win98 computers hostname. However, when I ping the XP computer from the win98 comp, it resolves the hostname. Does anyone know if there is some sort of problem with connecting xp to 98?? Or is this some other type of problem, maaybe my dhcp isn't working or something??
Any insight would be appreciated.

This sounds like a firewall issue. Disble the native ICF firewall of XP. For other firewalls, make certain all LAN traffic is treated as secure and allowed.

Watch for 'hidden' firewalls in Antivirus programs. PC-Illan, for example, installs a firewall component by default that would lead to exactly this behavior.

Hai,

Enable filesharing on w98 and/or enable netbui protocol on xp an w98.

Gr.

hardeschijf,

Neither of your suggestions resolves the problem: he cannot ping the other machine. This needs to be dealt with first.

However, when I ping the XP computer from the win98 comp, it resolves the hostname......

He can ping

Hi,

Not resolving a hostname is the same as not being able to ping?
Learning every day.

Gr

I never suggested that.
I read the original question as an inability to ping from XP to Win98 workstations.

My original quibble with your response is that File and Printer Sharing is not necessary for name resolution on a Windows LAN, only the Client for Microsoft Networking. And netbui will not resolve a ping issue.

Sorry dont want to be rude.

It is sometimes difficult to express yourself in a foreign lanquage.
If the message on top of this tread is the original question I still cant find the quote not able to ping from XP to Win98. Maybe there is another message?
I am new to the tek-tips site. Just trying to help.

gr.

Ping under XP never resolves hostnames. Earlier versions of ping under Windows usually will if they can.

Try it. Ping any host, LAN or WAN, under Win9x with its IP address and if possible it will do a reverse lookup of the hostname.

XP never does, even if using the documented -a switch.

This will not change if using Netbui or enabling File and Printer Sharing. It simply will not change the behavior of the XP ping.

Hi bcastner,

I tried your suggestion.

Ping from XP Pro to w2000 server
C:\>ping -a 213.84.19.211

Pingen naar diamant.xs4all.nl [213.84.19.211] met 32 byte gegevens:

Antwoord van 213.84.19.211: bytes=32 tijd=20 ms TTL=122
Antwoord van 213.84.19.211: bytes=32 tijd=20 ms TTL=122

This ia what I get. diamant.xs4all.nl is the hostname.

Little translation.
"Pingen naar" is Dutch translation for "ping to"
"gegevens" is Dutch translation for "Data"
"Antwoord" is Dutch translation for "Answer"
Gr

Your right, if you have a local DNS server it will with the -a swith resolve Domain hosts.

But not in a Workgroup, and not on a WAN link with non-local DNS servers.

I just setup a win98se workstation and give it a local ip.

ping XP to win98.. no hostname
Just as you said. I didn't know that.

I set up win98se with tcpip and only client for microsoft.
Files sharing disabled
So your also right on filesharing and netbui.
From XP I can browse My Network and see the win98 machine.
Starting the native ICF firewall of XP didn't prevent me from seeing the win98 machine
Disable the netbios over tcpip however did. The win98 machine disappeared.
Enabled netbios and it came back again after while.
All the time I could ping the win98 machine. I don't know if you must have netbios to see win98 from XP.

Maybe netbios solve the problem?

Enabling Netbios over TCP/IP is necessary in the absence of a WINS, or the use of LMHOSTS, or the lack of a local DNS server, for name resolution.

The only exception would be using NETBUI on all clients.

This is particularly true of XP as client; as by default the preferred resolution is DNS unless an alternative is enabled and specified under the WINS tab on the TCP/IP Advanced Property sheet. Eventually XP will, for most types of Nodes specified, default to Netbios name resolution but the process can be lengthy.

The switch to 'enable Netbios over TCP/IP' is provided for compatability with older Windows versions, and is the easiest method in a Workgroup for all Windows versions.

So in this case it would be the best option?
Enable netbios over tcpip?
Is there any other way to solve this..?

In this case the basics should be done:

1. The first thing to look at is the cable. Is this a true "cross-over" cable? With a straight-thru cable you are unlikely to see Link status on both adapters. But with a botched cross-over cable you can get link status but not true bi-lateral communications. If the cable is home made, consider purchasing a prepared cross-over cable or replacing the one you have.

2. The user says he has done this, but it is critical that it be right:

. computer names on each machine are unique
. Workgroup name is identical
. No spaces or "funny" characters; all UPPER case is safest
. No name longer than 12 characters in Mixed OS settings

3. Under TCP/IP Properties, Advanced, WINS Tab:

. uncheck LMHOSTS, and enable 'enable Netbios over TCP/IP'
. under the DNS Tab, uncheck 'register this address dynamicly under DNS'

4. Something: drive, folder, file, printer, but something is shared on all machines.

5. Firewalls: disable each and all until things are right. Usually third-party firewalls are easier afterwards to configure than the native XP ICF.

6. Beware of "hidden" firewalls in antivirus programs. PC-Illan, for one example, will kill netbios traffic if installed under default settings as an antivirus program.

7. In a Workgroup setting, synchronize all usernames/passwords. In this instance, all users with their passwords on Computer A should be entered as new users on Computer B with the same passwords. Similarly, the defined users on Computer B should be made users with their passwords on Computer A.

8. Do not use blank or empty passwords. Use a real logon username with a real password. You can use the autologon feature, but do not do so with blank or empty passwords.

9. Remove any unecessary protocols: IPX/SPX, Netbui, whatever. Just TCP/IP, with Netbios enabled over top.

If you follow these 9 steps, it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back