Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem creating new web

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneS

Instructor
Mar 29, 2002
Regular FrontPage user (Ver 2000), intermediate skill level.

I've created several web sites and published a few on my (Webcom). I've never had any problems once I got through all the setup instructions and got it working.

Suddenly, I realize I cannot start a new web on my own computer. I can edit the ones that I created earlier.

It's been a while since I created a new one. Lots of security patches, etc have been installed since I did the last one, even had to remove a couple infections.

I tried repairing Office, FP 2000, and checked for any update which might be relevant. No luck. I still can't File New Web to my personal web server. Message is "An error occurred accessing your FrontPage web files - If authoring against a web server, please contact the webmaster for this server's site. Webmasters please see the server's system log for more details."

The only note I can find in system log is about "The security system detected an attempted downgrade attack for server DNS/ns1.iei.net.. .... There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

Can anyone explain this?

Dwayne Streeter, CPA, CITP

Try this: Go to My Computer your your computer & locate the folder in whch you have all your webs. Create a New Folder & then Go to FP & try to open web & locate that new folder. It should ask you a question when you open it. Answer yes.

I have not used FP in such a long time but hopefully that will help. Also, I cannot remember if FP 2000 does this like FP XP, but just try double clicking on the file to open the entire file menu.

That is strange. I have not used FP 2000 in so long, someone else might know more about it, remember more. I take it this did not work either:

I also found a couple of more articles just in case:

What about also adding the icon for new web? Does that work? (right click on the icon bar & choose Customize. Under the File menu, you 'hopefully' will see new web. Drag this icon to the icon bar.)

No luck yet. I can publish to a file (I knew that), but still not to my server.

The last step is to tear all this down and put it back together. I'll probably do that later. In the meantime, just one more thing that doesn't work right.

Welcome to Windows XP. Nothing but trouble like this since I left 2000. I want to be a user these days, not a systems manager. Oh well ....

Thanks for your help.

Dwayne,

I am not totally clear on where or what the error is you are getting. You are working with FP2000 on Windows XP with IIS installed and the FP server extensions?

You are able to open webs on your localhost ( - or not?

You are unable to create a new web on localhost though? What kind of error do you get exactly when you try. I am thinking that this is a permissions problem with IIS, rather then a FP problem exactly.

Are you able to open an existing web on localhost and save any new pages or changes to existing pages?

Tiffany

Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Thanks for the note Tiffany. I think you are right on - I believe it is an assess issue. I can open existing webs, modify them, even publish them to another server. My only problem is trying to publish to my localhost or create a new web on my localhost. I've studied the iis settings, but I can't see what's wrong.

Now (after uninstalling, re-installing, etc) I'm getting a message about can't find a server at PPT-2 (which is my localhost). I'm trying to redo this whole thing right now. I''ve uninstalled iis, FP, deleted the inetpub directories, and am ready to re-install. The only thing I noticed when I tried this last time is that the registry apparently retained settings, because lots of old settings and pointers to web sites came back (even though the web sites were gone). I'm going to stop for now until you might notice this and give me a path.

I am also getting the same "an error occured accessing your FrontPage web files" when I try to publish my site to the server. I was wondering if you had found an answer to the problem yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back