Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem creating a setup package

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabster

Programmer
Oct 23, 2001
US
Hi all...

I have trouble creating a setup for an application in VB 6 with the "Package & Deployment Wizard".

The package is created (including the setup file, the cab file and the lst file)

The problem comes when I try to instal my application on another computer that doesn't have my particular ocx activex component installed there. So, after double clicking on setup.exe, there is a message saying:

"Setup cannot continue because some system files are out of date on your system. Click OK if you would like setup to update these files for you now. You will need to restart Windows before you can run setup again. Click Cancel to exit setup without updating system files."

Obviously, if I click OK than windows reboots, but my app is not installed (nor my ocx in the system32 folder).

Am I missing something?

Thanks a lot,

Gabi.

You could try using regsvr32 to register the stuff - what happened to us was that we ended up upgrading the operating system on the affected PC's...

thanks

that is... I tried registering the ocx with regsvr32 but ironicaly enough told me that the module cannot be found. And I have a copy of it in 3 places (system32, system and WINNT folders)
I even tried the absolute path to it - in vain.

hmm...

I'm not clear on what the problem is. When this happens to me, I let it do its thing, reboot, run Setup.exe again and it installs the program.
The only problem I've had is on Win2K systems. Upon rebooting, the OS undoes the changes the installer made and the installer keeps showing that same message. I forget what the solution was..
Have you tried the newer Visual Studio Installer?

you can try removing the mfc42.dll and/or the MSVCRT.DLL from the setup, but then something may not work in your program; or you can try this thread:

thread222-354646
[/b][/i][/u]*******************************************************[sub]
General remarks:
If this post contains any suggestions for the use or distribution of code, components or files of any sort, it is still your responsibility to assure that you have the proper license and distribution rights to do so!

Gabi,

Although I can't recall the exact file names, there are 6 files that VB installs when you deploy your application. When these are put on the client computer, more often than not, you get the message saying that some of these files need to be updated and your system rebooted. However, for some reason, these files are never moved from the temporary location to the permanent location and you keep getting that annoying "files need to be updated" message. Microsoft has a fix for this and it worked for me. The article number is: Q191096.

Elysium

I downloaded Visual Studio Installer... loaded the VB project there but have noclue how to make a setup.exe file. Any advice?

thanks a lot,
Gabi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back