Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem copying local profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillboy

Technical User
May 13, 2002
I'm trying to set up a user account for my kids on my home PC (XP Prof). I'm trying to copy my user profile to their user account by the standard "copy" option available in the system properties menu. However, my user profile is greyed out therefore I can't copy it. I am part of the local administator group....I cannot get focus on my profile no matter what I do (i.e. changing the local group my kids' account is a member of).

Is there local security policies that determines this?

Also, I can't seem to run any standard applications from their profile(i.e. Internet Explorer) unless I make them a member of the local Administrators group. Once again, do I need to change the local secuirty policies for the other groups (i.e. Power Users) to expand the default rights?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Who are you logged in as when you try to copy your profile? It needs to be an administrative user - but NOT your own.

They should be able to run most apps as power users - certainly internet explorer (as limited users also) - but power users group isn't immediately apparent on a non-domain machine - so be interested in how you've set things up (and have you been trying things with the group policies?)

to copy local user profiles. right click on my computer, choose properties, then advanced, then click setting under user profiles and use the copy command there.

Access64...that's what am I doing.

Wolluf...I've logged in as myself not the administrator (I don't see a way of changing the logon user to administrator even though I see the account is created in user manager). I haven't done anything with group policies (or local security for that matter which is very similiar)since I got the PC so I presume that the settings are the default.

As I said, they are unable to even open IE even as a Power User.

You have to be in Safe mode in order to log in as Administrator. Press F8 while your PS boots up to get to the diferent options, one of that is Safe mode. You'll get Administrator log windows. You probably never picked a password for it when you first installed Windows XP,though
just clck on OK. Now you can copy your profile or create another account w/ an administrator power.

I have the same problem on an NT4.0 network.

The server is NT4.0 server.

The client comp. is XP Pro, I cannot copy a users local profile as it is greyed out. No matter who I logon as I cannot do anything with this profile.

I have tried deleting the users prof and re-create one from scratch but it still appears greyed out.

I want to copy the prof to a network drive so i can then enable roaming profiles.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

v
No Pain No Gain

Varuna,

Is it just a particular profile name, or is the copy to feature not available for ANY profile?

The problem occurs for just this profile name.

I can select the others (both roaming and local profiles), which can be moved/copied etc.

No Pain No Gain

Suggestion

Set up a profile with a different name - but set it up as per the problem profile. Then copy that to the server for the problem profile name (name you copy it to doesn't have to be same name you copy from).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back