Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem connecting WinXP Pro and Win2000 Pro 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joepin

Programmer
Nov 21, 2001
ZA
Please Help!!

I am not a networking expert and this is driving me insane.

I previously had a laptop running Win2000 Pro and a home PC also running Win2000 Pro. I was able to access shared folders on both without any problems via cross-over cable.

Now my new laptop is running on WinXP Pro and I simply cannot access the Win2000 machine. The IP-Address on the Win2000 machine is 192.168.0.1 and the WinXP machine is 192.168.0.2

They can ping themselves but not one another.

I read in another thread that the XP firewall might cause problems. I have disabled the ICFW service on the XP machine. But still no luck.

192.168.xxx.xxx are IP addresses that routers commonly use to deploy NAT. These IP addreses are not the public IP of your PC, their internal IP address behind the router you are using.
I personally loath WinXP and have never had much success connecting the two with a cross over cable. Try making sure that the domains are the same, of the two PC's and then search for one PC from the other, using the search function.

Hope this helps a little.

Joepin,

Do an IPCONFIG /ALL on both computers and post the results here. Maybe then someone can help you.

Best Regards
Mattias Kressmark

Neither of the machines are currently part of a domain.
Both are setup on the same WORKGROUP. I tried the search
functionality, but to no avail.

Here are the IPCONFIG results:

Results from WinXP machine
C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : JP
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : National Semiconductor Corp. DP83815
/816 10/100 MacPhyter PCI Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-CD-55-13-DF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

----------------------------------------------------------
Results from Win2000 machine
C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : johan
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet Ada
pter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-DF-E4-A6-54
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Just a shot, but did you share your drives on your new laptop?

Jip, I've got shared folders on both machines.

I am a little confused by your messages.

In the original thread you had the two IPs as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.02, and yet your IPCONFIG results show them as 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2

So,

If you cannot ping using the IPCONFIG result IPs for the other machine, it is a cable issue.

If you cannot ping by Netbios Name, then on the new machine check TCP/IP Properties, Advanced, WINS, disble the LMHOST box, and Enable Netbios over TCP/IP. And try again.

Hi,

Hmmm... Looks fine to me. At least for a ping to work.
The next thing to check would be the settings for the network adapter on the WinXP computer. Maybe force the nic to use 10Mbps if that is an option. Also, are you a 100% sure that the cable is a cross-over and is working?

Best Regards
Mattias Kressmark

Hi

No need to be confused, bcastner, you are absolutely correct, I re-assigned the IP's after my first post :)
I tried your suggestion, disabling LMHOST and the Netbios over TCP/IP was already enabled. Still getting:
"Request timed out" on a ping to the Win2000 machine and visa versa.

The cross over cable is definitely working, because I used it a couple of days ago to connect the two Win2000 machines and it worked 100%.

Mattias, I couldn't find the option of forcing the network connection speed, but the ICON in the system tray indicates that the connection is currently 10mbps.

I can't believe I am having so much hassle setting up a simple cross over connection!

Regards
Joepin

Like I mentioned in my original post, I have already disabled the firewall.

normal troubleshooting procedure:

check the physical link - this means look on each NIC for the green light (you need to check both NICs - each light indicates success for one half of the connection).

check the IP addresses are correct and on the same subnet. (Your previous post suggests they're fine)

ping the computer's loopback - so try and ping 127.0.0.1 and also ping it's own IP address.
If this fails, you may need to reinstall the TCP/IP stack...
can help with this.
Alternatively, you may need to remove and reinstall the NIC drivers.

ping the remote computer
if this doesn't work, and you are certain there is no firewall on the remote system, this also suggests you need to reinstall TCP/IP. There are some circumstances where the stack can corrupt, and yet still allow you to ping localhost, but nothing else.
The solution is (again) reinstall the NIC drivers, repair the stack using the repair tool mentioned above.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Thanks, I will download this tool later and try it out.

Regards
Joepin

Nope, still no luck. I re-installed the NIC drivers on both systems, ran the Winsock repair tool, but still can't ping the other machine although each machine can ping itself.

If I unplug the cable on either machine the other machine notifies about the break in connection.

What I do find very strange is that on the Win2000 machine under &quot;computers near me&quot; I can actually see the WinXP machine, but cannot access it. (&quot;network path not found&quot;)

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Regards
Joepin

On the XP machine go to the &quot;Help and Support&quot; section and find the Network Diagnostic Tool.

Check all the boxes and have it do a scan.

It should see the Win2k machine, and give you an explanation of ping failures if they occur.

My only other thought on the issue is to find updated drivers for the XP notebook's lan adapter. I know this is necessary for the Sony VAIO, and likely necessary for others under XP.

Hello,

I have a similar problem on an W2K Member Server SP2 in a NT 4.0 Domain.

Server hp proliant DL 380 G3 (2 x GB/s Ports).

The IP Config is fix, no DHCP.
IPConfig /all looks fine

-I'm not able to ping any hosts by IP-Adresse anymore.
-Can ping Local Host and Local IP-Adress.

I've got this problem the 3rd time on the same server.
Last time it shows up after clean shut down and complete power lost.

I think it's not the registry what's screw up some values.
I restored the server from a working ghost image and was still not able to use TCP/IP.
Maybe there are some hardware settings (IRQs) changing from the internal LAN-Ports.

Workaround:
1. Remove the TCP/IP protocol (No Reboot)
2. Remove registry hives:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
Same on ControlSet001 and ControlSet002
3. Reboot Server
4. Reinstall TCP/IP protocol

regards,
patrick

Upgrade the adapter drivers, or replace the NIC.

If you are certain your cable plant is fine, it is likely either a driver issue or a failed adapter board.

Are the shares open or protected?

Are they on an NTFS partition? What the NTFS rights set to?

Hi.

I'd faced this problem when setting up my crossover cable based home network; connecting Win2k with WinXP.

Since the computers are detecting each other, it CANNOT BE a cable issue.

Resolved the problem through:
1. Running the Network Setup Wizard. It gives an option to prepare a floppy if connecting with non-XP systems; prepare that floppy and run it on the Win2k system.

2. You might update to Win2k SP4; it should do the same thing, and also resolve any other issues in connecting XP to 2k.

3. User rights - XP won't let you talk to it without the rights. For that, I had created the same user login and password on both systems. As a result, XP was able to immediately validate the login and password of the user requesting access over the network, and connection happens.

Regards,
usb101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back