Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem connecting to notes server via internal modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

clansman

Technical User
Jan 9, 2002
GB
I am using a Dell Latitude as a client, running Win 2000, with an Actiontec MD56ORD V92 MDC internal modem.

This modem connects to our Win 2000 server without problems, via Internet Explorer, but will not connect to the Lotus Domino server.

The dialing process is ok and both modems (a Hayes Accura 56K on the server) beginning communications. Eventually the client times-out and the connection is dropped without having connected to the Domino server.

When the client attempts to connect the CD light on the Hayes lights up, but nothing further happens.

I am using the Generic All-Speed Modem (with instructions) driver within Notes, and I suspect that the Notes modem file needs an ATI command changed.

I have attempted to use several alternative Notes modem drivers, but to no avail.

Can anyone help?
Can anyone help? I can provide

Hi,

Most build in laptop modems will fail to work with Notes.

Notes is very choosy regarding modems. Even if you get them to dial out their is a big chance communication will fail.

Try to see if lowering the speed on the modem will fix this. You can also change some other options such as the hardware flow control or try the Autoconfigure option. These settings are all to be found in the port settings on the laptop.

Also:
Are you sure the modem on the Domino server is working correctly and is accepting calls from other Notes clients?

Make sure the server modem is not used by the OS or any other task on the server and that the Domino server is really listening on the Com port. (Do you see the incoming connection on the Domino console or log?)

If the server side is working properly, and lowering the speed or changing other options do not help, then I advice you to buy a PCMCIA modem from Xircom, 3Com or Psion. I always use these to connect laptops because the internal modems almost never work.

Kind regards,

Dominik Malfait
dominik@amazingit.com

Dominik,

thanks for your advice. As far as I'm aware (and I will double check) the server modem is working fine. I'll try adjusting the speed and changing the flow control, but I suspect that like several other people I will just have to see about purchasing a new modem for the laptop.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to respond to my email. It is very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back