Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem connecting to Internet via router or cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatchina

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2001
US
I have a new Linksys router WRT54gs and a Dell PC.
The router is getting a strong signal but I am unable to get on the internet with WEP security. I tried using the cable and it does the same thing, shows connected but no Internet connection...This was working fine until AT&T came out to fix the phone lines and now I can't get the computer in my office connected...The front computer is connected to AT&T's modem...I connected the back system using the router which worked prior to them comimg out....Pls help..

"YOUR EXPECTATIONS DETERMINES YOUR DESTINATION"

Well, I found out what the problem was...it was the NIC card, however, the system board was on the blink of going bad..and the Nic is intergrated on the board...no packets were being sent even through the LAN showed full connection..what really gave me a clue that it was the system board was that the system stopped recognizing the keyboard and mouse which was also plugged from the main systemboard.

Thanks for all the input!!!!

Sounds like a lot of fun. Glad you got it solved.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I'm just curious because you said the laptop had issues with the internet too. It showed connected but no internet just like the problem PC.

Oh well, if it's working it's working! Glad to hear...
[thumbsup2]

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Whodathunk? Based on the original symptoms I was sure it was the modem.
Guess it shows that sometimes it's the off the wall stuff that gets ya!

Ken

"cckens is a nick... why the H-E- double-hockey-sticks am I using a nick for a name? Am I afraid of who I am?"
-me
"...don't know why, but I think of chickens when I see that nick...maybe even choking chickens???"
-Tony (wahnula)

No, Cdogg, I said I was able to get to Internet with Laptop..

But, yeah, that was really fun...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back