Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem connecting to Excel "Could not find installabel ISAM"

Status
Not open for further replies.

OracleVictim

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
US
I'm running VB6 on Windows NT.

I have a little application that uses a data object to bind a datagrid to an Excel spreadsheet. All was well until I upgraded my Office97 to Office 2000. Now when I launch this application and try and connect to my Excel datasource I get the following error "could not find installable ISAM".

My research tells me to make sure I have the following dll in the winnt system32 directory: "msexcl40.dll". I've checked and it is there. This directory also includes an earlier version of that dll, named "msexcl35.dll".

Oddly enough, this application also ran trouble free on another NT machine running Office 2000. Well, we upgraded that machine to Windows 2000 and now it gives us the same error.

Any ideas?

The driver isn't istalled properly. Try reinstalling the older excel driver or update your code to use the new 2000 driver.

>"could not find installable ISAM"

The driver may be present, and all other satelite dlls needed, and registered (as a dll), but in the registry is missing an entry identifying this driver as an ADO provider.

This gets done when a certain version of MDAC gets installed.

And I believe you will need to install MDAC vers 2.5 to get it registered properly.

Can't remember off the top of my head concerning this particular driver, but I think it is not included in later versions of MDAC.

Thanks again. I found the MDAC 2.5 and installed it on my NT machine, but no luck.

I'm pretty sure I'm deep in dll hell. I've rewritten the application to use a simple text file for input and that seems to work fine. But it seems like this should work with Excel.........

Are you sure it got installed?

Post your connection string here.

Yes, that does happen. The results are the same.

Delete the files and re-install MDAC.

Thanks rorubin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back