Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem connecting from home computor to work computor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenh40

Technical User
May 8, 2003
US
Both computors are running windows xp pro, the computor at home is on a cable modem w/ no router.The computor at work is on a lan connection to a hub to a dsl router. Both computors have been enabled for remote desktop connection. What formation do i need to get thru the router/firewall to access my work computor? the dsl router is a Cisco 1600 which runs a 24 port netgear hub. Any information would be much appriciated. Thanks.
Ken

On the cisco, you'll have to forward port 3389 UDP to the work computer's IP address.

smah,
Thanks for the reply, I'm a newbie when it comes to routers and hubs, if you could just explain to me how i go about doing that i would appriciate it. Thanks
Ken

I can't give you specifics as I don't have the manual for that router. But basically, you have to access the administration/configuration settings of the router and find the NAT (network address translation) or port forwarding settings and forward 3389 to the internal IP address of the office machine. Maybe someone with that router will post the specifics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back