Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem connecting cisco with nortel poe switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

confus9d

Technical User
Jul 11, 2007
US
Hello,

I have a office network setup with Nortel BCM PBX system and a Nortel PoE switch. The switch is configured with Vlan 1 (Data) and Vlan 101 (Voice). Nortel IP phone is connected to the Nortel switch and user desktop is connected to the data vlan through the phone. I want to add more ports by adding a cisco poe to the nortel switch. I've tried having one port only on data and another port only on voice vlan for both Nortel and Cisco ports. Then data and voice ports were connected on both switches. When I add a phone to the cisco switch, i don't get any voice connection, but a laptop connected to the phone gets data connection without any problem. I noticed a "native vlan mis-match" on the cisco switch log. Any ideas why this setup wouldn't work? Thanks.

aslamss

Can u be more specific with which model of Nortel and Cisco switches you are using and be very specific with which Nortel phone (look at the model# on bottom of phone). Many older phones were not 802.3af compliant, and legacy phones worked with the Nortel POE switches and none other.

Sounds like a problem with STP. Though you have 2 seperate links between the 2 switches each with its own vlan, both vlans will by default be in stg 1. This will cause one of the links into blocking and as a result block the traffic for one of the vlans.

Instead use a single link and 802.1q tag both vlans across it or if you need the bandwidth trunk the ports together.

I believe the "native vlan mis-match" error is referring to the PVID of the default VLAN for the two switch ports.

You have an 802.1q trunk between two switches (Nortel and Cisco). You have added VLAN 1 and VLAN 101 to both switch ports and set the port to trunk mode. You should make sure that that PVID on the Nortel switch and the Default VLAN on the Cisco switch both match.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back