Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem changing password

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedy81

MIS
Oct 24, 2001
SG
I setup a new Windows2000 server as a file and Print server for my office. It's also acting as the domain controller.

All the users are running windows98 on their workstation. I created new client accounts on the w2000 server and the user's can login to the server.

The problem is when they try to change their passwords using the "Password" option in the control Panel, they get this error : "UNABLE TO CHANGE THE PASSWORD FOR MICROSOFT NETWORKING BECUASE OF THE FOLLOWING ERROR : THE DOMAIN CONTROLLER CANNOT BE FOUND "

Has anyone came across this problem and any idea of how to resolve this ?

Thks

Install the DSCLIENT.EXE from the server CD on the clients... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Thks for your advice. Okay, i install the DSCLient but a new problem occured.

With the DSclient, the workstation can change passwords but can't logged in to the Domain.

Without the DSClient, i can login to the Domain but can't change passwords.

Getting stranger by the day.

What exact errors are you recieving? Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

When the user tries to change his password , he will get this error :

" Unable to change password for Microsoft Networking because of the following error " The domain controller for this domain cannot be found. "

We use to have a run a mix Netware (F&P) and WindowsNT 4 for Applications so the users would login to both servers automatically with Netware as primary and NT as secondary.
Now we move everything to a new Windows2000 server but the old windowsNT domain is still active. The users just don't login to that server.

Any problem i encounted is that some users will experience losing their mapped paths after logging in to the 2000 server. I check around the forums and the advice was to check in the user sessions settings and set everything to "Never" was I did and the some users are still facing this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back