Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem changing Normal template in Word 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesman111

Vendor
Aug 16, 2011
US
I'm having a stubborn problem changing the Normal template in Word 2007 on my PC. I followed the directions given in this link:
No luck, but here are some clues. When I click on the "Office" icon, instead of opening onto
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates, and seeing "Template" and "EmailTemplate," I open onto Libraries\Documents. I've tried to follow the above instructions, manually saving the page as a template to the Microsoft/Templates directory. No dice. Assuming that my Word program has decided to save the Normal template it is using somewhere in the Libraries\Documents location, I saved the page as a template to that director with my desired modifications. Still no dice. I'm stumped. Any ideas on how to fix this stubborn problem?

You should be able to navigate to the folder containing the Normal template by inserting the following into the address bar:
C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\TemplatesTo edit the Normal template, make sure you've selected the 'All Word templates' option.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

The content you provided got me to a directory containing a file named "Normal." I opened it and made my corrections on the page. However, when I clicked on "Save," the option "All Normal templates" was not offered. The closest thing I could see was "Normal-macro enabled." But that didn't work, either. Same mis-formated blank page came up as my default page. I tried saving it as "Normal.dotm" and "Normal.dotx". Neither worked.

Did you open I as a template, per my instructions, or just normally?

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

bluesman, do not double click it open (that creates a new file), right-click and select open.

Gerry

I'm afraid, still no luck. Following the above instructions, including making sure to right click on the "Normal" file, my only option is to "Open." There is no option to "open as a template." When I click "Open," Word generates a blank page with the standard 1" X 1" margins I'm looking for. But, again, when I try to save it, I am not presented with an option for "All templates," and the mis-formatted blank page remains the default page.

Look at the lower-right corner of the 'Open' dialogue box. There you'll see a dropdown that probably says "All Word documents". Select "All Word templates" from that dropdown.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

When I right click on "Normal", the dialogue box offers "Open" as a selection. Whether I right click or left click on that, it simply opens a blank page. There is no subsequent dialogue drop down box.

Paul,

First of all, thank you for your patience on this. I was successful in navigating to selecting "All Templates" and bringing up the Normal template. The problem is that when I bring the latter up--it is the default Microsoft Word page. But that is not the page that comes up when I later open Word. The page that comes up is the defectively formatted one. In other words, it looks as though the problem is that my Word program is somehow set to default to a Normal template somewhere else than the default directory. Any ideas on how to detect and correct that?

That suggests you're using a different default template (e.g. a 'Normal' template in a different folder). To find where that one is stored, go to Word Options>Advanced>General>File Locations and see where the 'User templates' are stored (you may need to select them and click 'Modify' to see the full path).

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

None of the above selections have resolved the problem, but I think I may have narrowed things down. I read somewhere in my Googled information two items: 1) Word 2007 (unlike its predecessors, apparently) puts the "Normal" template in the Documents directory. Looking in there, lo' and behold, I found a sub-directory called "Templates - mine," and in there I found "Normal." Yet every effort to follow the above instructions to change and save it as the global template resulted in the same thing: the defectively formatted blank page. 2) I read also that if the Normal template is deleted, Word will on next opening regenerate the Normal template with the default settings. So I did a search on my computer and deleted all files names "Normal.dot". When I opened Word--the same defectively formatted blank page came up. So, it appears that my copy of Word 2007 may be the culprit. Does this make sense and, if so, is there a way to correct the problem in my copy of Word? (This is getting to feel like one of those intricately plotted mystery stories.)

1. Re:
the "Normal" template in the Documents directory
Word 2007 does not do that. If you have such a setup, it's because someone changed the defaults

2. Re:
if the Normal template is deleted, Word will on next opening regenerate the Normal template with the default settings
Correct - provided you delete the one it's using.

3. Re:
I did a search on my computer and deleted all files names "Normal.dot". When I opened Word--the same defectively formatted blank page came up
Since you have your own templates folder, it's possible your installation isn't even using Normal.dot. Instead of chasing your tail with this, try opening a new document then running the following macro. It will both tell you what the template is and open it for editing.
Code:
Sub OpenTemplate()
Dim StrTmplt As String
StrTmplt = ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate.FullName
MsgBox "Your default template is:" & vbCr & StrTmplt
Documents.Open StrTmplt, AddToRecentFiles:=False
End Sub
For installation & usage instructions, see:
4. Re:
it appears that my copy of Word 2007 may be the culprit.
Unlikely, but you could try repairing it, via Word Options|Resources|Diagnose.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Paul:

I very much appreciate the effort and time you've volunteered to try to fix my problem, but I have to say that the last suggestion is beyond my technical comfort zone. In fact, when I went to the website you cited, the guy even says if you have Word 2007 (I have), you have do take still another step to be able to install a macro. Looks like I'm going to have to live with my dysfunctional Normal.dot file. Again, thanks for your help.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back