Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem booting into Safe Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelpDeskJami

Technical User
Oct 13, 2006
US
Hello and thanks for the help. I am having a PC that whenever I try to boot into safe mode I get a BSOD that has the following stop error.
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
0x0000007B (oxF9678640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
I have no problems booting into Windows normally though which just struck me as odd. This is an XP machine with service pack 2 installed. I have tried reinstalling the system files with the XP disc and I also changed the hard drive. Every time I did something I ran chkdsk /r and got errors on the drive. When I did put the new hard drive in I did not use a clean install of XP, instead a made an image of the old drive using Norton Ghost and then put the image on the new drive. I checked to make sure that the registry keys are correct and they do appear to be fine. Does anyone have any further suggestions as to what they think the next step should be? Thanks and Happy New Year to all!!!

Two ways to safeboot :-

F8

or

Run msconfig check SAFEBOOT

If neither work, then :-

Do a reformat from CD, clean install and then try BOTH above methods and come back if you are still unsuccessfultry after trying above again.

Since you can boot up in normal mode, from the run cmd enter :sfc /scannow You will need the CD and ID key. This will check and repair or replace any missing or corrupt system files.

Hope this helps

See if these semi-related threads offer any clues?

WinXP Pro won't boot into safe mode
thread779-1020730

Windows XP Home won't reboot into safe mode.
thread779-1110534

Spontaneous Reboot in Safe Mode
thread779-1263281

Thanks for all the valuable advice so far. I had already tried reinstalling the system files and that was a no go. I checked out those threads as well and the first one seems to relate to what is happening. I will go ahead try the steps in there and let y'all know if that works. Thanks again!!!

Jami :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back