Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem booting from cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

prozzerg

IS-IT--Management
Mar 30, 2005
SE
Hi, i have a rs6000 7006-41 (W or T, dont know) that was running aix 4.3.3 before i fucked it up a bit ;-)

So i wanted to reinstall aix from cd (have 4.3.2 cds), but my machine didnt have a cdrom-drive, so i borrowed a Yamaha-drive from a friend of mine (internal one, not external) and tried to boot from it. The led says 253 (Attempting a Service mode IPL from SCSI attached devices specified in IPL ROM Default Device List.) and then the drive starts reading from the cd and the led changes to 299 (IPL ROM passed control to the loaded program code.) but after that the led changes to 185 (A checkstop condition occured during the BIST).

I did some research and found out that this error can have something to do with my mouse or keyboard (dont have the original ones :-/ ), so i tried disconnect them, no change.

After some more research i found out that it will boot from an external cdrom drive, i did found a HP SureStore 6020 at work and tried boot from it, the drive didnt start to read from the cd. (yes, the external scsi is enabled.)

Does anyone have some tips how to boot the machine?

/ Fredrik Arnell

How f'd up is your current environment? If you attempt to boot from disk, without the CDROM attached, does it crash with LED185? Do you have a tape drive? mksysb's? Another aix box?

I think i have a broken disk now, cus it dont start up like it should and nothing boots.

and i dont have a tapedrive and not another aix-box. BUT i got a backup from the old, working system. but, its just a file, so i need to boot the box with first. I have tried with a bootkit for aix 3.2.5 that i found on the net, it starts up good but then it says "press ctrl blabla something", and i dont have the original keyboard, so the keymap is all wrong.

and about the dead disk, a good friend of mine mailed a new one to me just a hour ago, so hopefully i'll have it on friday.

Do you get the LED 185 when attempting to boot from the disk with the CD disconnected? If no, then the CD may not accept the generic cd driver or its causing trouble on the bus. What LED's do you get while booting from Disk?

I dont get any from the LED when booting from disk, cus the disk never spins up, just stone dead.

Now the LED says 253, waits for a while and then 256 (first boot from scsi, and then boot from ethernet (bootp) )
After that the LED says 262 (keyboard missing, taken from a LED info site:
262 A keyboard was not detected as being connected to the system's keyboard port.
Note: Check for blown planar fuses or for a corrupted boot on disk drive. )

after that it just loops scsi booting and ethernet booting all over again and again and again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back