Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem backing up / restoring registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

deani

Technical User
Nov 24, 2004
GB
Firstly the basics: BrightStor AS 11.1 3200 running on Windows 2K03 server backing up Windows 2K03 server running agent 11.1 3200.

Now to the detail. As the title suggests I have been having problems backing up and restoring the registry. All I simply want to do is to restore parts of the registry, namely the shares.

I ticked the "Show registry" box in the preferences.

The registry is now visible and can be selected as part of the backup.

I have also ticked the "Backup registry key details when an entire machine backup is selected" box from the Server Admin / Configuration page. Infact everything that CA suggest in this document:

Although the registry is selected as part of the source (infact the entire server is) the registry is not backed up, there are no errors it just isn't backed up, well it is but only as part of the System State and that is no use to me. However, if I just select the registry object on it's own ignoring the rest of the server it backs up and is available to restore.

I thought initially that it was just an issue with jobs set up with rotation schemes but it also fails to backup the registry with one off full backups.

I'm confused, any suggestions? Have I missed something very obvious?

Thanks in anticipation of your help
Ian

Ok, I think I have managed to get to the bottom of this one.

It would appear that it all depends on how you select the objects to be backed up. If you simply select the entire server (solid green block next to server name) it doesn't separately back up the registry. However, if you select each of the individual object belonging to the server i.e.. drives, registry and system state (only half green block next to server name) it does back up the registry separately.

The "Backup registry key details when an entire machine backup is selected" tick box seems to make no difference.

Does anyone know the logic behind this?

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back