Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem backing up an oracle database over a network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechEd23

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2003
GB
Hi everybody,

I use Arcserve 2000 Advanced to do my tape backups on server1 and have just purchased a oracle backup agent to backup my oracle database. Now the oracle database is on server2 which does not have a tape drive.

Once the oracle agent has been installed on server2 I am unable to see it from arcserve manger on server1. I installed arcserve on to server2 which allows me to see the oracle database on it.

But I have still unable to see if from server1.

You must be able to backup an oracle agent over a network. I must be doing something wrong.

Can someone tell me what?

Many thanks

Eddy

Make sure the backup agent rpc service is running on the Oracle system.
Is the Windows Client Agent installed on the Oracle system?
In the backup window did you try viewing this system via both client agents (if applicable) and via network?

hi dovidmichel,

I have just checked and found that my version of arcserve 2000 is workgroup and not Advanced

Backup agent rpc service is up and running on server2

Windows client agent is installed on server2

I have installed advanced on another server, and that can see the database.

Unfortunately I do not have the reg codes for arcserve 2000 advanced ed.

Is there a reason why advanced can see the database while workgroup can not ?

Hi davidmichel,

Install the update on Arcserve 2000 workgroup still could not get the oracle database to apply.

Ended up uninstalling it and then installing Arcserve 2000 advanced which works fine.

Thanks for all your help

Eddy

hi davidmichel,

I am having a problem where when I try the get in to the oracle database it says that my username and password is incorrect. I have tried all username and passwords that I know.

I have read in the oracle agent manual that I should input my internal logon and password but this does not work.

I have recently changed the login right to the ORADATA folder to just allow only oracle services.

Would this have effected it ?

Hi Eddy,

When you connect into Oracle server using the internal id you must be logged in as a user that is a member of the ORA_DBA group.

In this case your Oracle agent is not able to login to the Oracle server using internal since the service (rpc service) is running as LocalSystem. To resolve this problem you need to change the RPC service to start using a useraccount (preferrably an admin) that is a member of ORA_DBA. This should allow the agent to log in.

If you are using the NT agent on the machine, you should change the NT agent service to use the same account as well.

If your ARCserve backup server and Oracle agent are on the same machine, you need to apply these changes to the Job Engine service.

ACiDelic

Hi ACiDelic,

Success

Just changed the login on the backup RPC agent service on the database server and it works now.

Thanks

Eddy

Hi ACiDelic,

Slight problem, I have done a successful backup onto tape, I have then moved the tape to another server with a tape drive, Merged the Tape into Arcserve database.

But when it comes to restoring on to this new machine. Its not excepting any passwords, even though the login and rights are identical I have also logged in all the arcserve services as the oracle password as well.

Any ideas?

Eddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back